Messing with BHS / Marshalsea - TFL

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 24 October 2017 4.55pm
Hi all

SO it would seem that TFL are at it again. Messing about (ie tearing up junctions). They propose to ban right hand turns from Marshalsea into BHS. Now I know the anti-car movement, but some of us locals do have to use them, and I don't want to get into a ban all cars debate.

If TFL the cut this turning off, it is only going to send lots of cars into the one-way system Ayers / Red Cross Way, thus putting all those additional polluting cars, right next to the schools (Cathedral). Surely that is worse?? Anyway - there is a consultation on now, to hear from those around. tfl.gov.uk/roads/a3-borough-high-street.

For those who do have to live locally and need to get up to London Bridge and routes north - you can't turn right from SBR onto Southwark Street, You won't be able to turn right onto BHS, so the only option is through the residential area.

Someone at TFL really hasn't thought this through. Please do leave your thoughts! on the website. Even if you don't have a car, or you do have kids - let them know.
Wednesday 25 October 2017 1.37pm
Hmm, the TfL site suggests that they're banning left turns from Marshalsea Road onto Borough High Street (northbound), not right (southbound), and that the main reason for this is to provide a green pedestrian phase across BHS in front of St George the Martyr. It seems to me that a filter light could work - if northbound traffic is held at red while straight on/northbound is green, this would mean you could have a green pedestrian phase as well. Presumably the reason TfL haven't included this as it would add too much time overall to the junction.

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed at the proposals as they're ostensibly about improving walking and cycling, but there's very little (apart from one new crossing) for pedestrians, and nothing at all for cyclists. Clearly a safe pedestrian phase here is needed here. On the whole the proposal talks about congestion and journey times for cars, and I don't see it making a big improvement for other road users.
Monday 30 October 2017 5.28pm
I received an email from TfL with an outline of the proposals and a link to a form on which to make comments.

I definitely need to join the 21st century, because I was amazed at the extent of the personal info TfL were seeking from anyone who responded. The multiple choices seem to increase by the day, and ticking the 'prefer not to say' box seems rather coy. At least it is possible to comment without responding to all the queries - I was very tempted to make something up but the killjoys don't offer much opportunity. Whatever, it is certainly unnecessarily intrusive, imo. Can someone explain why they need details of ones sexual orientation, gender, ethnic origin, among other things, in feedback about a road junction - other than using it as an exercise in personal data collection?
Monday 30 October 2017 6.41pm
I agree
This excessive data collection is new?!
What is relevant is the fact that this change is not needed as it will only push traffic into Great Suffolk St which as far more pedestrians than marshalsea due to the shops etc
If anyone has tried to walk across Blackfriars post “improvements” please let’s stop this happening on BHS
Monday 30 October 2017 7.36pm
Following the negative responses from contributors to this forum, I've just responded to TfL's request for comments, giving my wholehearted support for their excellent proposals - AND answered all their personal questions.
Monday 30 October 2017 8.16pm
I suppose Brandon House will be an even nicer place to live.

Oh I'm just saying....
Monday 30 October 2017 9.24pm
ChloeB wrote:
Hi all (see amendments)
For those who do have to live locally, and need to get up to London Bridge and routes north - you presently can't turn right from SBR onto Southwark Street (buses only), You won't be able to turn right onto BHS from Marshalsea road, so the only option is through the residential area and clogging up Union Street (which is pretty clogged already by those who are all funnelled from 5 streets in to the one way system out via Union St/BHS).

Someone at TFL really hasn't thought this through. Please do leave your thoughts! on the website. Even if you don't have a car, or you do have kids - let them know.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network