Bermondsey St. heritage at risk

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 22 January 2018 6.13pm
Appreciate you sharing the link, Richard, but it changes nothing to the substance of what I said - comments which I stand by. Indeed, I was aware at the time of making my original comments of the designation.
Tuesday 23 January 2018 1.01pm
Richard Miller wrote:
Gavin Smith wrote:
I'd say that the Bermondsey Street heritage - whatever that actually is - was lost years back. People who talk about "heritage" clearly have no idea what stood on Tanner Street, the height of the buildings/warehouses that stood there, or indeed what stood on the open space prior to its enlargement. In heritage terms, Bermondsey Street and its immediate surroundings were dark and dismal places. To suggest, therefore, that its heritage is at risk is a bit disingenuous. Perhaps we can be enlightened?
This is a classic case of nimbyism. The net effect of reading this thread is that I have gone to the Southwark planning website to register my support for the proposal.

Gavin, maybe this link will help you? https://www.southwark.gov.uk/planning-and-building-control/design-and-conservation/conservation-areas?chapter=4 The Bermondsey Street Conservation area was created 45 years ago in 1973. Conservation areas are protected by law due to their special or historic architectural character and appearance.

Not all of us have The Rose tinted view of what conservation areas are and should be that you and the planners have. Again and again the special character of such areas is not preserved. Instead, it is destroyed by a descent into tweeness as policy turns the area from reality into a theme park of everything it never was.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network