TFL consultation new Rotherhithe- Canary Wharf crossing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 8 November 2017 2.13pm
Opened today - consulting on a new pedestrian / cycling crossing from Rotherhithe across to Canary Wharf. Their preferred option is a bridge, 3 routes proposed. Tunnel and more ferries the other 2 options. There's lots to read before answering the survey (high bridge, low bridge, siting, access etc).

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/rivercrossings/rotherhithe-canarywharf/
Wednesday 8 November 2017 3.35pm
Much needed and long overdue
Wednesday 8 November 2017 3.46pm
I vote for the central bridge. Hopefully it will come soon and not be the tunnel or ferry which I don't really see as options.
Friday 10 November 2017 2.16pm
Would have saved me a fortune when I was able to walk, I could have bussed to past the tunnel and walked over. In a taxi queueing to go under the tunnel to cross cost a fortune even with my Taxi Card in later years, as Geminix said...well over due.
Friday 10 November 2017 4.19pm
Ferry would be simple and quick to implement. That's what they do to cross the Ij (busy shipping river) in Amsterdam....you walk out the back of Central Station and walk or cycle onto a ferry.

If it's going to be a bridge.......can it have a garden on top of it please ? ;0)

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 13 November 2017 10.46am
"The Jubilee line is also currently operating close to capacity during peak times."?? The author has clearly never tried to board an eastbound Jubliee line train before 9am at Bermondsey station! It is currently operating beyond its capacity. It would be great to have a new river crossing - I would never walk or cycle via the Rotherhithe Tunnel but I have seen brave souls do this.
Monday 13 November 2017 11.59am
juanita wrote:
"The Jubilee line is also currently operating close to capacity during peak times."?? The author has clearly never tried to board an eastbound Jubliee line train before 9am at Bermondsey station! It is currently operating beyond its capacity. It would be great to have a new river crossing - I would never walk or cycle via the Rotherhithe Tunnel but I have seen brave souls do this.

I've cycled through the Rotherhithe tunnel quite a few times. It's not the most pleasant experience and the incline coming back out at either end is quite steep so it can be hard work to get up and out at a pace that doesn't p-off the drivers behind (not that this bothers me).

You do get the occasional idiot driver down there who tries to overtake - it is way too narrow for that to be safe at any point and the general speed of traffic down there is probably no more than 15mph anyway.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network