Another cyclist thread

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Tuesday 28 November 2017 12.51pm
I don't think anyone expects a cyclist to be "averaging" 20 mph. As a motorist I'm lucky to be averaging 8 mph so the talk of average speeds is irrelevant for most safety issues. What's relevant is bursts of speed between junctions, lights or particularly the most worry I face everyday is from cycles creeping up on both sides of my car when I'm going slowly or stopped.etc. It's time we not only helped cyclists enjoy greater safety but apply the same rules about licensing and compulsory fitting of speedometers as the rest of the road users are legislated to do. What one can't legislate for is drivers not doing their utmost looking out for cyclists, or cyclists assuming all drivers have swivel heads, x-ray eyes and searchlights at all times.
Tuesday 28 November 2017 2.34pm
boroughonian wrote:
I've just remembered, last night in Great Suffolk st there was a van parked and the driver swings the door open right in front of an oncoming cyclist causing him to swerve out into the centre of the road, the van was actually facing the oncoming cyclist! It could have been much worse if there was other traffic travelling either way at the time.
The driver was very apologetic and the cyclist was dumbfounded.
It did give me some idea of what the cyclist has to put up with.
He was wearing a helmet but I don't think the driver was aware enough to have thought -he's got a helmet on so I can take liberties.

Having said that, the cyclist was wearing dark clothing.

Funny how people manage to see pedestrians in dark clothing, and other vehicles which are painted black, yet cyclists in dark clothing become invisible!

Following the call from some Irish Minister for all cyclists to wear high-vis, I read an interesting article where it was basically suggested that since most road traffic collisions happen between one motor vehicle and another and do not in fact involve cyclists, it should perhaps be all of the cars that are painted neon green and neon pink!
Tuesday 28 November 2017 2.40pm
Guy's street wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
I've just remembered, last night in Great Suffolk st there was a van parked and the driver swings the door open right in front of an oncoming cyclist causing him to swerve out into the centre of the road, the van was actually facing the oncoming cyclist! It could have been much worse if there was other traffic travelling either way at the time.
The driver was very apologetic and the cyclist was dumbfounded.
It did give me some idea of what the cyclist has to put up with.
He was wearing a helmet but I don't think the driver was aware enough to have thought -he's got a helmet on so I can take liberties.

Having said that, the cyclist was wearing dark clothing.

Funny how people manage to see pedestrians in dark clothing, and other vehicles which are painted black, yet cyclists in dark clothing become invisible!

Following the call from some Irish Minister for all cyclists to wear high-vis, I read an interesting article where it was basically suggested that since most road traffic collisions happen between one motor vehicle and another and do not in fact involve cyclists, it should perhaps be all of the cars that are painted neon green and neon pink!

Eh? Pedestrians are on the pavement aren't they? I'm not sure whether it's so much of a problem as those intermittent front lights to be honest.
Tuesday 28 November 2017 4.06pm
boroughonian wrote:

Eh? Pedestrians are on the pavement aren't they? I'm not sure whether it's so much of a problem as those intermittent front lights to be honest.

Sometimes they are, yes. They also cross roads, walk into roads etc.

Surely it should be even easier/habitual to look out for something that is "meant" to be or "expected" to be in the road than something that might step into it, anyway?

I tend to cycle with both a steady and flashing front light these days and I do feel it makes people take note a lot more than just a steady light. Easier for them to judge how far away/fast I'm travelling as well.
Tuesday 28 November 2017 5.05pm
Oh my God, why do some cyclists want to resist anything that might make them safer? Not that it's overly expensive to have a hi vis vest. In fact, they could even be supplied on Boris bikes.
Just about every cyclist I saw this morning, on their way to work was wearing a helmet. We may ridicule the "lycra louts" but they wear their helmets and I'm sure that they would wear hi vis (which would not be just for their safety). I think this debate is really about the rented bike thing and I think that's why compulsory wearing of them in Australia has seen a drop in cyclists. It can't be beyond the wit of man to sort this.
Zoe
Tuesday 28 November 2017 9.26pm
I resist hi-vis because the evidence does not support its use. It doesn't make cyclists safer as it creates the suggestion that cycling is a dangerous actively requiring special clothes, which puts people off cycling and makes it less safe to cycle for everyone else. No one has hi-vis in holland and they are safer as they have better designed roads and lots of cyclists.

Cycling is in fact a very low risk actively, it's no more risky than walking or driving. The risk of a head injury is as great for a pedestrian or driver as it for a cyclist. If we want to reduce risk we should all wear helmets at all times, but that's a level of reaction which isn't sensible in proportion to the risk.

Do helmets save lives? Undoubtedly, but staying at home and never travelling saves lives too.
Tuesday 28 November 2017 9.42pm
zoe wrote:
Do helmets save lives? Undoubtedly, but staying at home and never travelling saves lives too.
Exactly - I think this article sums it up well; we need to deal with the cause of the danger (the massively unequal contribution to dangerous conditions for road and pavement users represented by lorries, cars and bikes), not the symptoms of this inequality. The rational response to this is segregated infrastructure and real penalties for dangerous driving and cycling, not by restricting cycling. I wish those who feel comfortable telling cyclists how to behave showed some comprehension of this.
Tuesday 28 November 2017 10.32pm
Oh ok then. let's make out cycling in London is perfectly safe and not put anyone off. If people can't see the difference in the dangers of walking to the dangers of cycling on London's roads then I think I'll give this up.

Beggars belief.
Tuesday 28 November 2017 10.37pm
No, let's make it safe. That's the issue. We differ on how to achieve this.
Wednesday 29 November 2017 8.14am
If everyone wears Hi-Vis, High-Vis stops standing out and becomes less effective. You couldn't pick out the cyclist crossing your path for the sea of Hi-Vis.

Safer behaviour (by all) and a bit more care and consideration, particularly for those more vulnerable, is what will save the most lives.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network