Did you ever have any negative experiences with Airbnb?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 29 November 2017 12.00am
Dear SE1 community members,

After reading several posts on this (and several other) forums regarding people's experiences with Airbnb (as guests, hosts or members of the local community), I've decided to undertake, as part of my academic role, some proper (academic) research to look into this issue and how it impacts different communities and groups of people around London. I'm hoping that the results will help us identify ways that we can take advantage of the benefits of the sharing economy, while at the same time reduce issues and conflict within the communities.

If you find yourselves with a few minutes to spare (approx 10-15 mins depending on how much you are willing to write), could you please consider answering the six questions in Northumbria University's link below?

https://nbsnu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cTvSemghXCTcfMV

I'd be really grateful to all of you that find the time to participate in this research. Please feel free to contact me if any further information is required.

Kind Regards,
Tommy
Wednesday 29 November 2017 3.46pm
Why are you just asking for negative experiences? That does not really sounds like "proper academic research" but a collections of anecdotes. Along with an understanding of the issues must surely be an understanding of the scale.
Wednesday 13 December 2017 3.39am
Hi LiviaDrusilla,

Very good point! I should probably have clarified that in my initial post. The main focus of the research is the way conflict is created and managed in the relationships between different groups of people involved in the "Airbnb experience". There are several academic papers (since 2015) that have looked into the "positive" aspects of Airbnb and the factors that influence guest/host satisfaction with Airbnb, but currently there is very limited research on what happens if things don't "work out", and how these situations can be managed. This is the research gap that the current research contributes to.

Hope the above makes sense?

Kind Regards,
Tommy
Thursday 14 December 2017 1.22am
Thank you for clarifying your question, Tommy_A.

I have never used Airbnb, be it as a guest or as a host.

However the business model used by this global hospitality service has an effect on neighbourhoods and communities who aren't necessarily involved in hiring out, or letting their dwellings.

Re-purposing regular homes into hotels/BnB's, has resulted in a diminishing community cohesion in certain areas and even turned some places into a kind of 'Earls Court' (a district known more for its transient residents that those who call it their home).

In London, there is a 90 day per annum limit on the amount of time any home can be used for the short lets Airbnb is known for, and most local authorities' leases on ex council homes forbid such lettings outright (though this lease clause is routinely flaunted and poorly enforced by the various boroughs).

If the focus of your research extends to the impact on communities, I fully endorse it.

If instead it is limited to issues between those who have used Airbnb properties for a short stay and their landlords, then I do not.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network