TV repairs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 9 December 2017 1.55pm
Hi All,

My neighbour's LCD TV has suddenly stopped working: can anyone recommend a reliable repair service in SE1 or SE17?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Sunday 10 December 2017 10.00am
The days of the locat TV repair man, who could fix every Ferguson, Philips or Pye TV in your own living room are long gone. Every component is likely proprietary and only the original manufacturer will be able to repair it or even know how to het at what is broken in terms of how the thing. Ones apart to reach it. Basically, they are not designed to be repaired.

The chances are that the only way of getting it repaired will be to have it set off to who know where and that that will prove so costly in money and take so long that it will prove easier to just buy a new TV.
Sunday 10 December 2017 7.40pm
boroughbloke wrote:
The days of the locat TV repair man, who could fix every Ferguson, Philips or Pye TV in your own living room are long gone. Every component is likely proprietary and only the original manufacturer will be able to repair it or even know how to het at what is broken in terms of how the thing. Ones apart to reach it. Basically, they are not designed to be repaired.
The chances are that the only way of getting it repaired will be to have it set off to who know where and that that will prove so costly in money and take so long that it will prove easier to just buy a new TV.

Thanks BB: I had basically offered the same advice, but posted here on a 'you never know' basis.

It is a sad reality that we live in a disposable goods society, and that the concept of 'mend and make do' no longer applies...
Sunday 10 December 2017 10.23pm
Sadly I have to agree with the above. I bought a Samsung LED TV from John Lewis that stopped working but luckily it was covered by their 5 year warranty. It was picked up by their sub-contractor, and when I got it back I saw that the charge for the repair was 500 - the same cost as the TV! John Lewis may just as well have given me a new one!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network