Proposed new shops at the Elephant.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 11 January 2018 6.14pm
I guarantee this dead end arcade will be a complete disaster and any shop that opens there that does not have a door onto the street will fail and close shortly after opening. I will feel so sorry for any shop owner that wastes their hard earned money opening in it.

The whole proposal clearly comes form the mind of someone, who is utterly clueless about how to create a successful retail environment.
Thursday 11 January 2018 6.19pm
When the precinct comes down there will be a transition period, it will make that side of the Elephant come alive
Independent local shops will thrive there
Thursday 11 January 2018 6.34pm
I have spent a long time now designing retail environments and I guarantee, 100% that there is one feature that will characterise the current proposed arcade; closed shops and a complete absence of customers in it.

This is not to say that a successful environment could be created, but the current proposal is not it. Anyone, who has a clue about how retail works would agree with me. Scrap the arcade, put all the shops on the street and move the community centre into the centre. The community centre does not make money and it doesn't need to face the street. The shops do. All the arcade does is waste useful space and provides a route to nowhere compelling unless you are bursting to go to the toilet.
Thursday 11 January 2018 6.58pm
Agree Boroughbloke about shops having their own front door on the street. When Centre owners put the rents up shopkeepers can't afford them and move out. Having seen the centres shops close up over the years it makes me give wry smile to see the stalls outside doing well! Perhaps small shopkeepers could share their shops with another sole trader if not enough street frontage?

I remember when centre opened almost fifty years ago, a wonderful big Tescos with a deli counter...butchers...And also upstairs on escalator still in Tescos for other goods. Jewellers...boot menders...dress shops. too many for me to mention...sorry waffling again into the mist of memory my mind retreats into.
Thursday 11 January 2018 7.08pm
The shopping centre is an exercise in how not to do it, which is why it has ended up as it is. It seems nothing has been learned with this pathetic arcade.
Monday 15 January 2018 11.18am
Is this the proposed shops in front of Perronet House? I thought it looked like they would all be facing the street but can't get the planning application up for some reason, it keeps timing out - where is the community centre?

Sounds like a waste of good garage space to me anyway :)
Monday 15 January 2018 3.11pm
I am confused as well to which shops we are talking about. The proposal for Perronet House look good to me: those shops will be the first thing that everybody sees when they come out of the Bakerloo Line station: prime location in my opinion.
Monday 15 January 2018 3.52pm
do you REALLY think independant traders will be able to afford/allowed to trade there? The only shops will be the trendy chains. You'll get pret, starbucks/costa and whatever other chains will look cool enough for the rich people who live in china and never occupy the premises. The EC will go from a vibrant are filled with local people to a ghost town, two thirds unnoccupied. It's ethnic/social cleansing in honour of money.
Monday 15 January 2018 6.42pm
Well the Council claims that "priority going to traders displaced by the redevelopment of the Elephant & Castle Shopping Centre" in relation to Perronet House.
Regarding the ghost town I don't know what will happen in the future, but if you look at the past (the Strata) and present (One The Elephant), new developments are far from empty and are increasing diversity in the area.
Monday 15 January 2018 6.52pm
"When Centre owners put the rents up shopkeepers can't afford them and move out."
I think you'll find this is down to a poor business model i.e. too few customers not buying enough goods to cover basic business costs such as rent and wages. Simple economics in my view.
Which raises a couple of questions in my mind:
Is a developer responsible for subsidising the shopping centre businesses who are failing?
What is the relocation plan for the larger businesses - Tesco, WH Smith, Iceland?

I'm also not sure if the posters above are talking about the proposed Perronet House shops, or Delancey's proposed 'town centre'?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network