Victorian reconstituted stone

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 1 June 2001 3.55pm
I'm a final year civil engineering student investigating the applications and long-term performance of 19th century reconstituted stone. I need to find out abou the names of any of the old reconstituted/artificial stone factories that I believe there were probably quite a lot of in the SE1 area. Does anyone have any information that may be of use??
Sunday 3 June 2001 1.38pm
I went on a tour of Lambeth Palace when it was open last year and they had some sort of sculpture of fake stone made by a local factory. Can't remember much else. My four year old son was more interested in how each Archbishop died, especially the ones who came to an untimely end. The Palace library may be able to help, plus Lambeth Archives at the Minet Library in Stockwell, or the guy who runs the second-hand bookshop half way down Lower Marsh, next to Delerium. He has written a book of local history and knows an amazing ammount.
Sunday 3 June 2001 2.14pm
Graham Gibberd is the man who runs the bookshop. He's doing a guided walk exploring the history of Lambeth Marsh on 21st June - see page 8 of this month's <a href="">in SE1</a> for details.

Sunday 3 June 2001 10.35pm
One famous factory made Coade stone; the lion outside County hall on Westmister Bridge is made from it. It is believed that the recipe has been lost.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: