Pigeon feeding - 400,000 annual cost

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5
Friday 23 February 2018 3.24pm
John C wrote:
Whatever happened to the pigeons?

They're still there, refuelling on chunks of stale pitta and toast. Having asked one of the stall holders in the 'street-food' encampment on Tabard St., (that's another subject for a rant some time) I'm told the stuff is being distributed by a couple who turn up some afternoons each week on their mis-guided mission to maintain the local pigeon and rat population.
Saturday 24 February 2018 7.02pm
"Spring Watch Southwark": Pigeon (feral rock dove) feeding is a popular past time on Tabard Street "Street Food" Market where our feathered friends enjoy a feast of pitta bread & various food scraps & left overs. When they've finished there it's a short wing flap over to St. George's Church gardens (and a quick bowel movement) to where the serious pigeon feeders provide all sorts of food waste, even nourishing meaty bits. Of course not all the free food gets eaten by the birds & when it gets dark our rodent population scurries out & all are happy!
Saturday 24 February 2018 7.23pm
As well as condoning pigeon (rat) feeding, Southwark Council seems to have a policy of killing off all wild life by smothering plants with wood chippings & compost , chopping down bushes where the birds could find cover & nest & converting green spaces into synthetic sports ground. So called "nature areas" quickly become unmanaged waste ground full of weeds & litter. In the Autumn damp dead leaves are left for ages, blocking drains, damaging lawns & leaving muddy bare patches. No wonder so many people never go outside.
Sunday 25 February 2018 2.36pm
pgmcdonald wrote:
"Spring Watch Southwark": Pigeon (feral rock dove) feeding is a popular past time on Tabard Street "Street Food" Market where our feathered friends enjoy a feast of pitta bread & various food scraps & left overs. When they've finished there it's a short wing flap over to St. George's Church gardens (and a quick bowel movement) to where the serious pigeon feeders provide all sorts of food waste, even nourishing meaty bits. Of course not all the free food gets eaten by the birds & when it gets dark our rodent population scurries out & all are happy!

But the odd (lonely) old dear who leaves a bit of bread for the pigeons is to blame for it all, not the markets and restaurants.
Wednesday 19 September 2018 10.13am
I am really sorry, I don't have time to read this whole thread. There is an elderly man who feeds the pigeons near Borough Underground station. He gets off a bus from Elephant each morning between 06:45 and 07:15 (I see him infrequently but am sure every day) he drops seed outside the Old Post office - Next to Starbucks then goes around the current to the Walk through between the Graveyard and St George's church and throws carrier bags full of bread onto the grass area. I reported this with photos on "fix my street" but nothing was done... :(

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5
Current: 5 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network