Lucky escape

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 21 May 2002 3.17pm
Thanks to all those who posted a message in recent months on the increase in SE1 fraudsters! I was approached by one of these guys on Tower Bridge Road on Sunday night. He claimed that he lived above the video shop and had a wife and two babies and desperately needed to get to a hospital - just needed cash to get there. I instantly knew it was a con and managed to pull my boyfriend away (who fell for it initially). We turned the corner to walk home and broke in to a jog as I got the feeling I'd rattled the guy somewhat. On turning around I could hear the guy shouting 'they went this way' only to see him and another guy running towards us. At which point we ran away very fast to a lucky escape. Not very nice.
Tuesday 21 May 2002 5.25pm
se1 such a great place to live. (scum bags). Glad u r ok
Thursday 23 May 2002 2.38am
They actually chased you?
Thats a new one...
Monday 27 May 2002 11.29am
That's bad. Did you notify the police about it. Do they know about this scam going on in the area. I seems to be a new style of begging, but not as passive - especially when they start chasing you down the road. It definitely seems like these people aren't happy that their scam has been rumbled. Someone approached me with a similar story near Tescos once. There was just something really disingenuous and quite aggresive about the bloke so I just ignored him and quickly walked on...
Monday 27 May 2002 6.36pm
There's another scam going on too - you go into a good restaurant, eat a delicious meal for not very much money, and then complain that it's over-priced. You then con the proprietor into giving you a 50% refund, and THEN you go out and complain to the world at large in a disingenious and quite aggressive fashion that you've been ripped off.

Apparently this bloke who's after money has a similar technique, if you only give him enough money for a cab fare, he complains that you didn't order him a classy stretched white limo (to Miss Jo Jo's party?).
Tuesday 28 May 2002 12.52pm
leave poor Natalie alone for goodness sake!
Thursday 30 May 2002 11.05am
Thanks for the sympathy, but I think it's my dear friend Trouble you should really be feeling sorry for. He's obviously got an unhealthy obsession about crappy restaurants.
Saturday 1 June 2002 11.55am
I\\\'ve seen a guy 3 times on Shad Thames with a similar story... says he lives in the area with a wife a child and that he was beaten up as he took his last 10 GBP out of the bank and that he needs money to get to the hospital. His face was beaten up, but clearly not recently. He did follow us all the way down the street once, but never threatened or chased. I saw him the other day in the neighborhood dressed in painter clothes, so it is likely he actually does some painting in the area.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: