More Small Birds!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Sunday 4 March 2018 7.59pm
I've often said to friends that one of the things I miss most about my native rural Cheshire is birdsong. A few weeks ago I was in Leathermarket Gardens and it was full of it. I'm not great at identifying birds but a friend is so a grabbed her. We found blackbirds, starlings and sparrows. But the ones I got particularly excited about were the blue tits. Loads of 'em. Everyone singing.
I found this Guardian article that explains it. We've had ten years of disease and bad weather as far as small birds are concerned.
Anyone else noticed any anywhere?
Monday 5 March 2018 8.11am
Yep. Bluetits, which I hardly ever saw as a child, near outnumber Sparrows now. Also to be seen in my garden are Robins. Wrens (amazing how loud something so small can be), Goldfinches, Woodpeckers, the odd parrot and others.
Monday 5 March 2018 9.46am
Yes, isn't it lovely? On my walk to work each day from Blackfriars Road to Jamaica Road, these are the (semi) regulars - Pied Wagtails, Blue Tits, Robins, Wrens, Blackbirds, Chaffinches, the occasional Thrush and Kestrel, plus Cormorants, Geese, Swans, Ducks and Coots on the river. These are just the ones I recognise, but I see and hear others in various parks and gardens around SE1 that are a complete mystery to me. I hardly ever see Sparrows though, which is shame. I'm sure I appreciate birdsong far more living in the middle of London, than I ever do when I'm in the country. It's a source of amazement that we can ever hear them singing when there's so much noise for them to battle against.
Monday 5 March 2018 10.45am
I love Blue tits and Robins, they are vicious little so an' so's though. I don't see how Sparrows can flourish while the aforementioned do.
I'm still amazed at those Wagtail things in Lower Marsh, they are an absolute joy and you get the impression that they feel just as worthy of using the marsh as any Human, they own the pavement.
Monday 5 March 2018 11.02am
[quote boroughonian]I love Blue tits and Robins, they are vicious little so an' so's though. I don't see how Sparrows can flourish while the aforementioned do.

Sparrows can flourish alongside the blue tits and robins - in my garden (near the E&C), at least. My main problem is how to stop pigeons whacking the seed feeders so that the entire contents fall onto the ground - and they then they walk away - sorry fly away - and I have to sweep up the mess.
Monday 5 March 2018 5.37pm
and over in thorburn square area we have lots sparrows, blue tits etc. but some rarities this winter:
long tailed tits, redwings, goldcrest, sparrowhawk, heron, collared dove

its like springwatch!
Monday 5 March 2018 6.04pm
The sparrows that used to be in the bush at the corner of Roupell/Theed Street are now in another bush in Theed Street in a Whittelsey Street Garden.
Always worth keeping eyes ope, the peregrines are back in Waterloo, and I once saw an Osprey flapping up the Thames past the Tate.
Saturday 10 March 2018 10.32am
This morning I had a small bird of prey swoop out of a tree and land on the pavement in front of me with a starling in its talons. I will have to hit Google and see if I can work out whether it was a sparrowhawk or a kestrel :)
Saturday 10 March 2018 9.04pm
Seen the same sort swooping down once. I donít know who was more surprised: me or the pigeon.
Monday 12 March 2018 9.08pm
i think its much more likely to be a sparrowhawk - i have not seen any kestrels but see quite a few hawks. They tend to fly around about twice the height of a two storey house going flap flap flap glide - the crows give them away by flying up from the trees cawing their heads off
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network