Drinking water bottle refill scheme

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 19 March 2018 9.24am
Why carry bottles of tap water back and forth if you have a tap at home? 🤔

Related news & features

Monday 19 March 2018 9.32am
I carry a water bottle with me at all times as I'm often away from home. The recommended amount to drink is two liters which is easier if you have a bottle with you at all times.
Tuesday 20 March 2018 3.03pm
Tolstoy wrote:
I carry a water bottle with me at all times as I'm often away from home. The recommended amount to drink is two liters which is easier if you have a bottle with you at all times.

I agree 100%.

Besides, I'd hate having to run back home every time I needed a sip of water...
Tuesday 20 March 2018 3.41pm
I'm a bit sceptical about drinking a gallon of water every day. At least until they get some more public toilets installed as well as the water fountains!
Tuesday 20 March 2018 4.35pm
PeteStaples wrote:
I'm a bit sceptical about drinking a gallon of water every day. At least until they get some more public toilets installed as well as the water fountains!

As one who has never drunk two litres of water in a day, I was interested to see these comments on an online health site:
"There really is no actual science behind the 8×8 rule [8 x 8-ounce glasses = 2 litres]. It is completely arbitrary."
"If you drink coffee or tea and eat water-rich foods, then chances are that this alone is enough to maintain fluid balance, as long as you don’t sweat much."
"For the majority of people, there probably isn’t any need to worry about water intake at all… the thirst instinct is very reliable and has managed to keep us humans alive for a very long time."
"At the end of the day, no one can tell you exactly how much water you need. As with most things, this depends on the individual."
"Do some self experimentation… some people may function better with more water than usual, while for others it only causes the inconvenience of more frequent trips to the bathroom."
"That being said, I am not sure if the small benefits of being “optimally” hydrated are even worth having to consciously think about it. Life is complicated enough as it is."
"If you want to keep things simple (always a good idea), then these guidelines should apply to 90% of people:
1. When thirsty, drink.
2. When not thirsty anymore, stop.
3. During high heat and exercise, drink enough to compensate for the lost fluids.
4. That’s it."
Tuesday 20 March 2018 6.33pm
I have read this:

"The British Dietetic Association advises that the average adult should consume 2.5 litres of water per day. Of this, 1.8 litres - the equivalent of six to seven glasses of water per day - must be obtained directly from beverages. This should be increased during periods of hot weather or during and after periods of physical activity."
Tuesday 20 March 2018 10.03pm
Jules62 wrote:
I have read this:
"The British Dietetic Association advises that the average adult should consume 2.5 litres of water per day. Of this, 1.8 litres - the equivalent of six to seven glasses of water per day - must be obtained directly from beverages. This should be increased during periods of hot weather or during and after periods of physical activity."

The BDA fact sheet says 2 litres for men 1.6 litres for women (ie 1.8 litres is the average) - 'from drinks'.

I think NHS says six or eight glasses = 1.2 litres - they must use different size glasses.

But they both agree we're talking 'drinks' or 'beverages'.
Tuesday 20 March 2018 11.09pm
On building sites there are colour code charts in the gents, giving the relevant advice, regarding water intake, dependant on colour of wee.
Wednesday 21 March 2018 10.29am
The general rule we had in the Army , especially when serving in hot countries like Kenya or Cyprus :

"drink enough water to always pee clear once a day"
Wednesday 21 March 2018 12.30pm
I do agree this initiative needs to include extra public toilets regardless of how much you drink.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network