Bermondsey, best place to live in London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 19 March 2018 1.35pm
According to the Sunday Times.
Monday 19 March 2018 1.48pm
They'd be right :)
Tuesday 20 March 2018 3.13pm
Used to be Peckham, according to The Times.

Del Trotter would not be amused by this demotion...
Tuesday 20 March 2018 3.24pm
Jules62 wrote:
Used to be Peckham, according to The Times.
Del Trotter would not be amused by this demotion...

I hear he moved to Bermondsey after becoming a millionaire.
Tuesday 20 March 2018 5.28pm
The claim is that this baloney is researched and written by a team of property professionals, but it's on a par with the Evening Standard efforts at property 'journalism' and it's so lazy.

The report on Bermondsey hacks the familiar cringe making 'arty' and 'foodie' tags. Rather oddly, the resident interviewed claims he 'noticed the area was on the up' five years ago. One wonders where he had been looking before that, given he's been in the area since 1994.

Suffice to say I don't care about the 'artisanal caffeine' or 'Taiwanese waffles' we now have on our doorstep and which can no doubt be found in many other areas of London. People 'from Chelsea...coming to Borough Market', goodness, whatever next - and since when was BM in Bermondsey?.
Tuesday 20 March 2018 7.00pm
To be fair, SE1 has most definitively taken an upward swing in terms of desirability, though what makes a place the best to live in is highly subjective: for some it would be a nice detached house on a quiet street away from the hustle and bustle, perhaps in zone 3. Others would prefer a stylish apartment smack in the middle of the action in this vibrant city, with good bars, clubs, and restaurants all withing walking distance.

Also, things change. Look at Shad Thames: back in the '80s: it wasn't the kind of place one would want to go far a walk after dark, yet now it is an estate agent's dream, with many apartments in converted warehouses going for serious money.
Wednesday 21 March 2018 9.35am
janefs wrote:
Suffice to say I don't care about the 'artisanal caffeine' or 'Taiwanese waffles' we now have on our doorstep and which can no doubt be found in many other areas of London. People 'from Chelsea...coming to Borough Market', goodness, whatever next - and since when was BM in Bermondsey?.

Hear hear! The border has evidently shifted; I read an article about Flat Iron Square which claimed it was in Bermondsey.
Wednesday 21 March 2018 12.57pm
When we moved into Shad Thames 12 years ago, I remember seeing Bermondsey Street advertised in estate agent windows as 'Shad Thames South'. Now, we appear to have moved into Bermondsey.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network