Waterloo Development Framework

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 24 June 2004 10.40am
I'm looking for planning advice again. Perhaps someone from Lambeth is reading!

There is something called the Waterloo Development Framework, that I think is about to be consulted upon and which I think is going to replace the UDP. I have seen a map which curiously covers St Thomas' Hospital and all of Lambeth north of the Hospital, plus land immediately north of Archbishops Park, but leaves out the park itself. Curiously it does include some of the protected 'Stangate Triangle replacement land' which though pavement - surrounded by bollards - is actually the part of the park which has the strongest legal protections. It also includes an area which is car-park which is currently zoned as park in the UDP.

I have already asked WCDG and my local Councillor, whether it matters that the park is left out. (There is an assumption that some S106 from thje Founders Place Development will go in the refurbishment of the park.) The latter go a response saying it did not matter since boundaries were supposed to be flexible, whilst the former understand that the boundaries are supposed to be tight and being left out of the map might mean us being left out of a proposed single pot for Waterloo S106, and other things (walking routes etc) that might inpact on the park. We also understand that there will be community input into the WDF, but since the park is outside the area, our group will not be included in this process.

Doubtless I have got a lot wrong cos it sounds complicated. The main questions is being left out good, as if will spare the park from some of the development threats in the area, or is it bad because it will not longer be seen as the primary green space serving Waterloo, and not be able to tap into the investment opportnities that increased density will bring.

The issue is important because the Park is also excluded from the Greening Vauxhall process whereby S106, mainly from Albert Embankment, for improvements to green space is divided up amongst a number of parks in North Lambeth, including Kennington Park and Vauxhall Park but not Archbishops.

Add to this a Lambeth Parks Forum decision that Heritage Lottery and other similar bids should be focussed on Parks in the south of the Borough, as the north has had so much SRB and S106, and it is beginning to look as if Archbishops will need to be able to serve a lot more people but receive no investment at all.

Lang Rabbie, Niall, Northern Boy, what do you think?

Thursday 24 June 2004 1.04pm
I think everything may still be up for grabs.

The job advert below appeared recently for the person to write it ... think interviews are next week.

Head Of Strategic Planning

Organisation: London Borough Lambeth

Date posted: 25 May 04
Closing date: 11 Jun 04

Change the way people view Lambeth

Standing on the South Bank at Lambeth's northern tip, the London Eye provides a bird's eye view of the borough. This is a view that keeps on changing. In Waterloo, Vauxhall, Clapham, Brixton and Streatham there are major developments and regeneration schemes in progress. Lambeth is evolving, responding to the development pressures that come with London's world city status while securing lasting benefits for the local community. As Head of Strategic Planning you will be in a pivotal position to ensure these challenges are met - and that people's views of Lambeth keep on changing for the better.

PO9: 48,489 - 51,792 including London Weighting

The Planning Service is at the heart of Lambeth, located in the Community Renewal Division of Corporate Services alongside Community Planning, Regeneration and Town Centre Management. The service has seen sustained improvement over the last two years, resulting in a favourable review of our performance and prospects for further improvements by the ODPM in April 2004. In June 2004 the service is being restructured to build on this, strengthen the planning policy, urban design and implementation functions and ensure effective engagement with the community.

You will report directly to the Assistant Director Community Renewal (Planning), lead the high profile strategic planning function and be responsible for its policy, conservation, urban design and implementation activities. A crucial role will be that of integrating this work with the corporate agenda, including the Community Plan and the development of the Council's land assets.

A revised deposit UDP is to be placed on deposit in June 2004, with a public inquiry anticipated in early 2005. As well as preparing for plan making under the new regime, other key projects will include the preparation of the Waterloo Development Framework, planning briefs, SPG documents and a structured approach to S106 processes.

We are looking for a key player in the management team capable of responding to the corporate demands of the role. An excellent track record of achievement in planning policy and on major projects needs to be combined with strong leadership, project management and teamwork skills, plus a full appreciation of the regeneration issues and evolving policy framework arising from the new Planning Act. A management qualification would be an advantage.

Thursday 24 June 2004 2.31pm
They will need to be quick, I think the consultation is supposed to start soon.

I am also confused because Lambeth still seems to be working on the new UDP. (Again formal consultation over the summer - but some sort of pre-consultation now.) Also why Waterloo only. Though Waterloo is not developed out and there are still further changes, there will also be massive change in the "Lambeth Riverside" or "Project Vauxhall" area, including more along Albert Embankment, the completion of the St George site at Vauxahll, plus the Lilian Baylis site. This is an area with practically no facilities, a strange road network and very patchy green space. If ever an area needed a holistic approach this is it, otherwise it will be nothing but expensive apartments and run down social housing.

Both areas are within the 'London South Central' area of opportunity, which I understand is effectively being run by the London Development Agency, and it would seem to make sense for them both to be considered together - after all Lambeth does not have that much riverside.

Someone told me that it was because Lambeth were frightened of the natives following the Project Vauxhall episode. I live there and my neighbours seem perfectly nice to me.......

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: