Farage

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Friday 6 April 2018 12.54pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
LiviaDrusilla wrote:
If the vote was reversed and remain got 52%, you bet we would be hearing about it non-stop from the Brexiters and they'd be demanding another referendum every year or two.

Farage said before the EU Ref that 52% would mean unfinished business. The fact that you don't hear the shameless hypocrite about that now tells you everything about his total lack of integrity.

Well said. We should make it a point to remind them.
Friday 6 April 2018 8.11pm
LiviaDrusilla wrote:
What I don't understand is how the votes was on a knife-edge, 52% voting in favour, and with some very dodgy campaign practices going on from the Brexit side, yet apparently the matter is settled for a generation?
If the vote was reversed and remain got 52%, you bet we would be hearing about it non-stop from the Brexiters and they'd be demanding another referendum every year or two.

Well sorry but I am not shutting up about it and I know plenty of remainers feel similarly. This is looking like the biggest national farce since Suez; people who know very little about the issues have voted to self-harm their own nation economically, culturally, diplomatically.

I fully agree and also believe that, if the referendum was to be held again, many who originally voted to leave would not do so again now that they realize that beyond the bombastic nationalistic rhetoric there is a clear path to a diminished United Kingom.

The price to pay for withdrawal from the Union will be fewer jobs, a weaker Pound, and longer waits at the border when traveling to our EU neighbours for business and pleasure.

Also, it will be ineffective in 'keeping out' the UE 'scroungers' hell bent on entering the UK to 'steal our jobs': all an EU citizen will need to do, is enter Eire freely, then simply cross over into Ulster without any border controls (these would be contrary to the Good Friday Agreement).

Once in Ulster, they can travel to anywhere in the UK without any controls or customs.
Monday 9 April 2018 9.56am
Jan the old one wrote:
I only hate rapist, child abusers. I don't really honestly hate anyone. I use that word frequently without thinking of the real meaning. I despise politicians who ignore the will of the people. I voted out because I wanted to. Had the people who wanted to stay in had the majority vote I would have accepted that as democracy. I would not insulted,mocked them.
If the Leave vote was overturned it would set a very dangerous precedent all over the world and in many fields.

Imagine losers of World Cup demanding a replay, simplifying it I know.
Thoroughly focus Jan. Well done and said! True democracy here
Monday 9 April 2018 9.58am
boroughonian wrote:
Jan the old one wrote:
I only hate rapist, child abusers. I don't really honestly hate anyone. I use that word frequently without thinking of the real meaning. I despise politicians who ignore the will of the people. I voted out because I wanted to. Had the people who wanted to stay in had the majority vote I would have accepted that as democracy. I would not insulted,mocked them.
If the Leave vote was overturned it would set a very dangerous precedent all over the world and in many fields.

Jan, I'm going to be brutal and I can assure you, this is not my view at all. But you are not respected in this country, your elderly, what do you know about anything LOL I know, mad aint it? You see, people like EW can console themselves in believing that I, who cannot hurt a fly (literally!) am full of hate of foreigners, but you? Experienced you, clever you that raised a successful family and played a part in what we enjoy now, are just a bit confused dear, and not quite with it.

Makes me sick.
. Absolutely
Monday 9 April 2018 11.56am
Paramount wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Jan the old one wrote:

Jan, I'm going to be brutal and I can assure you, this is not my view at all. But you are not respected in this country, your elderly, what do you know about anything LOL I know, mad aint it? You see, people like EW can console themselves in believing that I, who cannot hurt a fly (literally!) am full of hate of foreigners, but you? Experienced you, clever you that raised a successful family and played a part in what we enjoy now, are just a bit confused dear, and not quite with it.

Makes me sick.
. Absolutely

I'd expect more positive tones from victorious Leavers, not this kind of bitter anger. I will also have you know that to mu knowledge I have always treated Jan with the utmost respect, in case you're implying otherwise.
Monday 9 April 2018 12.27pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Unlike you,

And you know this how?

Still waiting for boroughonian's answer to the above question.
Friday 13 April 2018 1.15am
The main lesson I take from all this (and the Scottish independence vote before) is that referendums are divisive and generally a bad idea.
Friday 13 April 2018 9.41am
Many home nation people lost jobs due to influx of immigration so we can hopefully act more in the sovereignty in this sort of issue especially
Friday 13 April 2018 11.06am
Paramount wrote:
Many home nation people lost jobs due to influx of immigration so we can hopefully act more in the sovereignty in this sort of issue especially

Interesting. I'm assuming you don't mean the incoming Angles and the Saxons displacing Celts from their jobs.

This 2014 Home Office report says:
"...there is relatively little evidence that migration has caused statistically significant displacement of UK natives from the labour market in periods when the economy has been strong" and
"To date there has been little evidence in the literature of a statistically significant impact from EU migration on native employment outcomes"

There appears to be some evidence that non-EU immigration has effects in certain parts of the economy (eg IT), but that won't get less after brexit. In fact it's likely to get worse - easier access to the labour market is likely to be a key component of any free trade agreement with India, for example.

And, since the referendum the UK economy's growth has slipped from leading the G7 pack to the bottom of it, so the caveat in the first quote may limit its contemporary applicability.

So, do you have you have any more recent evidence for your assertion, Paramount?
Friday 13 April 2018 11.07am
Paramount wrote:

Many home nation people also found jobs in companies, restaurants, bars, etc. created by EU citizens. Anyway don't worry the cheap labour from the EU will be replaced by cheap labour from India, Brasil or whichever other country we are aiming to have special trade deals with.

By the way it was a conscious decision of the UK government to not put any restrictions on immigration: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/richard-bird/immigration-blame-the-uk-_b_13120104.html
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network