Trees Baylis Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 13 April 2018 11.26am
Clots and Cretins spring to mind ...initially....hands off our trees and the sacred God of cyclists in London.stop sucking up to them

Cotswolds 12
Friday 13 April 2018 12.02pm
You will find that cyclists are in favour of more trees not less. I hate it when they chop mature trees but these ones seem to grow very close to the building and they might have cut them down anyway in the near future. At least they're planting 6 new trees in return for cutting those 3 mature ones. Let's hope they all survive and thrive in this polluted environment.
Friday 13 April 2018 1.00pm
I don't understand why these trees must be felled: the technology to simply move them to a different location already exists:

Friday 13 April 2018 1.37pm
I agree with paramount...surely there must be someone with a brain cell
not linked to bicycles.??
Monday 16 April 2018 10.26pm
I don't think this is precisely down to cyclists. I think it is the cycling bureaucrats who never go and look at issues on the ground.

This junction must be one of the safest in central London. If you are going ahead to the Cut, as a cyclist, you head down the central lane.

If you want to turn left, you get into the left turn lane where all traffic turns left.

I have seen occasions where a cyclist wanting to go straight ahead was on the left but the traffic has always ceded to them.

There is no problem. Don't destroy good trees.
Tuesday 17 April 2018 1.35pm
I started having a big rant about badly designed cycle lanes at junctions (funnelling bikes to the left of left-turning traffic), then thought it was worth looking at the actual plan.

It looks quite sensible to me, if I'm looking at the right thing - the cycle lane is staying in the centre of the two traffic lanes.
(PDF plan linked near top of this page https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/consultations/proposed-changes-to-quietway-5-cycle-route-waterloo-to-croydon-series-3)

But from that plan I can't see why they need to remove any trees - the road isn't getting widened.

Am I looking at the wrong thing?
Tuesday 17 April 2018 5.26pm
That is helpful and as you say it is not clear why they have to remove trees, one maybe if the road is widened a little.

Thanks Pete
Tuesday 17 April 2018 6.57pm
The officers' report and the latest diagram is here:

https://moderngov.lambeth.gov.uk/ieDecisionDetails.aspx?Id=4142

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 17 April 2018 7.06pm
130,000 for that!!!
It seems that the new road just skims past the trees so they could have adjusted the width by taking a bit more space from the opposite pavement
Last Saturday, I was at that junction and thought it was a pity we could not turn right into Waterloo Road towards St Georges Circus. That won't seem possible in the new layout either.
Wednesday 18 April 2018 9.34am
No no no! That's a terrible design. Why the hell have they replaced the sensible plan with this shower of nonsense.

Whoever suggested this needs a poke in the eye.

The vast majority of cyclist deaths in London have been due to left-turning vehicles: why the hell do they keep re-designing junctions to funnel bikes down the left side of left-turning traffic?! Forcing all the vehicles to the right of the bikes, when there is no right turn allowed at the junction. This is insane.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network