The Raven at the Tower

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 7 May 2018 11.22pm
This used to be my local, and the publican and his wife (Tom and Breda Cassidy) were very good friends. What happened to them and the many other regulars, eg, Paul from the printers, Simon (started a car and driver service in Tooley Street), Les from Fisher Downside, the guy that lived in Riley Road (forgotten his name), he worked as a scene shifter and was also a massive Arsenal supporter and Dave from the Purbrook (sp?) Estate, worked as a civil servant, MoD I think but could have been the Home Office; more whose names I have forgotten? Their son worked for The Times. Such very nice people. Does anyone reading this know where they are now? They had relatives in London, around Queens Park area, I believe.
Would absolutely love to hear news of any of these people. Someone bought and built on the site, that's all I know. I wonder if the print works went as well.
A huge thank you to any contributor.

CTC
Tuesday 8 May 2018 7.42am
Used to love that pub, I remember a chalk board with "Breda's ....." was it "pies"?

Never got involved with the community side of it, I never had a local around there, I used them all! Me and my mate out of Devon Mansions supported local businesses....a lot.

It is great to be reminded of the community side of the old pub, can you imagine, in 30 years time, someone, somewhere writing a piece on memories of people and community in SE1?
Places yes, people no.
Tuesday 8 May 2018 3.24pm
The Raven wasn't that friendly - when we moved here in 2000 we went in and all the locals there stopped talking and made it clear it was 'their' space. Maybe a protest about the 'gentrification' going on at that time?
Tuesday 8 May 2018 7.58pm
Kris Beuret wrote:
The Raven wasn't that friendly - when we moved here in 2000 we went in and all the locals there stopped talking and made it clear it was 'their' space. Maybe a protest about the 'gentrification' going on at that time?

How rude: such behaviour runs against what a 'public' house is supposed to be.

It so called locals do not want to consider the fact that when new residents move into the area they too become 'locals', they should open a private member's club somewhere...
Wednesday 9 May 2018 5.11am
Kris Beuret wrote:

That's odd, it wasn't only a "locals" pub really. Along with local workers and tourists I would say it was pretty eclectic clientele wise. Not doubting your experience and I always found it strange that, often, the rudeness of such places extended to the owner/manager.

I have to say though, in the new style of pub, I would expect neither friendly or rudeness, just a nothingness.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network