Drone above Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 15 May 2018 8.00pm
Has anyone noticed the drone over Blackfriars Road tonight? It's been hovering, rising, falling, disappearing, reappearing for over two hours now. It's basically over the empty site behind The Mad Hatter, opposite 240 Blackfriars Road. Driving us nuts!
Wednesday 16 May 2018 9.11am
I saw it there at around 2:30pm, while waiting at the traffic lights. Assumed it was something to do with the building site.
Wednesday 16 May 2018 9.46am
That's interesting. We weren't home until around 5.15 / 5.30 and saw it for the first time around 6pm. It was still there four hours later, hovering, climbing very high up then dropping out of sight. When it got dark it had really bright lights round it as well. It did seem to be focused on the building site, but that site is empty with no work currently underway. It was also a pretty big drone and gave me the creeps, I have to say, as it was pointing (or appeared to be pointing) straight into our flat.
Wednesday 16 May 2018 11.18am
I also observed this when passing down Blackfriars Road at around 9pm last night. The drone itself definitely looked like like quite a big commercial one, and was out of place enough to make me stop and watch it land.

As previously reported it was landing into the building site behind the Mad Hatter hotel.

My guess is that it was a remote filming drone and was being used for operator practice. It was definitely of sufficient size to be carrying commercial filming equipment.

When I went past there was also a military helicopter hovering further along the Thames towards the shard, which made the sight even odder. The two things are probably entirely unrelated though.
Wednesday 16 May 2018 12.25pm
Sounds to me like a commercial drone related to land survey.
Wednesday 16 May 2018 3.39pm
Why would a commercial drone be hovering over an empty building site for over seven hours, assuming the first sighting at 2.30 was when it arrived? It never moved in any direction other than up or down and I can't understand what there would be to survey on the site for that amount of time, when it's nothing but dirt and rubble.
Wednesday 16 May 2018 3.41pm
Gathering footage of One Blackfriars for some promotional film or other?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
AD
Thursday 17 May 2018 10.32pm
Perhaps it was a imulating the views from the new flats for prospective buyers to see before buying off plan?
Friday 18 May 2018 7.24am
i thought there were some legal rules about flying drones away from built up areas etc. if something had gone wrong it would have landed on southwark street or blackfriars road? saw it whilst waiting to go south on the cycle super-slow highway
Friday 18 May 2018 9.23am
JimG wrote:
i thought there were some legal rules about flying drones away from built up areas etc. if something had gone wrong it would have landed on southwark street or blackfriars road? saw it whilst waiting to go south on the cycle super-slow highway

The usual rule is apparently not to fly within 150m of a 'congested area'; and not within 50m of any person or property or object 'not under your control'. The latter would seem to mean that if you live in a detached house more than 50m from the neighbours you can fly a drone in your garden.

But it seems pretty certain that the drone reported here was being used commercially - then it's possible for the operator to apply for special permission:
http://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Aircraft/Unmanned-aircraft/Small-drones/Regulations-relating-to-the-commercial-use-of-small-drones/

I notice it says 'Operators should also be sure they understand the rules around trespass and nuisance.' But it doesn't seem to define nuisance, or require the operators to inform local people about what they're doing.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network