48-storey tower planned for Argos site on Old Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 5 June 2018 5.32pm
I have joined this forum today solely to comment on this proposal.
As a local resident, not to SE1 but to the other side of the road, Albany Road, I wanted to state that I SUPPORT this development in principle.

London MUST build more homes. This location is due to be a station on the new Bakerloo Line extension. It would be neglectful, nay negligent, not to take advantage of this to make the site a very high density one for homes. If we want new developments to be sustainable from a transport point of view then we need to ensure that new transport hubs are surrounded by high density development to remove the temptation of the car.

I suspect this will not be a popular view among Forum users but it needed to be made to demonstrate that this is not a mono-culture of anti-development views.

It is also not true to state that this will have NO affordable homes. The planning policy clearly states that the amount of affordable homes required and that can be found on the council website – we can debate whether that’s enough but it is not true to make a blanket statement that there will be NONE. I also hold the view that this city will never achieve affordability in the housing market it we don’t build the many many many more homes that are desperately needed [u][/u]– whoever builds them, councils or developers. Too many people living in cramped, damp homes. There is no time to loose.
Wednesday 6 June 2018 6.57pm
Good on you Pete, You are 100% right. The sheer selfishness of those with homes when it comes to attempt to build more homes in the area is toe curling. All to happy to demand more tube stations on their doorstep, funded by the tax payer, so long as they don’t involve demolishing their homes, but all to happy to deny others the right to a decent home near a station built mostly by the developers of said homes.
Wednesday 6 June 2018 11.15pm
BurgessParkPete wrote:
London MUST build more homes.

It all boils down to the simple question: for who are these homes being built for?

The proposed location lies at the very first space (the cheapest) on the Monopoly® board: Old Kent Road.

I would welcome any new social housing (please note: not the so-called "affordable housing" misnomer) on the site.

However what is proposed to take place here is no such thing: expect to see more and more traditional working class Londoners being edged out as this and other developments are granted permission in SE1, and across the Capital.
Thursday 7 June 2018 2.05pm
No, Jules, I disagree. London has a large and growing supply/demand issue when it comes to housing. We really do just need to build MORE. This would also help re- Balance affordability for everyone.

You also need to remember that the addition of the new Bakerloo line station on Old Kent Road will change the location immensely - plus, that Monopoly board was created in 1936, so maybe time we accepted that times have changed.

I also find it frustrating that people are so adverse to the "affordable housing" that is targeted at middle income people/families. They are the ones who have been forgotten by campaigners and planners in central London. The only people who can realistically afford to live central long term are the poor (in council housing) and the rich (and to be honest, a lot of the so-called "rich" live in some pretty tiny places compared to your average council house - it's just that they cost a lot to rent or own, so the occupants must be "rich").
Thursday 7 June 2018 2.28pm
boroughbloke wrote:
The sheer selfishness of those with homes when it comes to attempt to build more homes in the area is toe curling. All to happy to demand more tube stations on their doorstep, funded by the tax payer, so long as they don’t involve demolishing their homes, but all to happy to deny others the right to a decent home near a station built mostly by the developers of said homes.
I know you like to provoke a debate, Mr Bloke.
It's fair enough for people who live in an area to take an interest in how that area is demolished and rebuilt. Developers will try to maximize their profits by getting as many homes as possible into the footprint available. Being as demand massively outstrips supply, it's a seller's market and punters will still buy the flats. And they'll be subsidised by one of the government help-to-buy schemes which funnel first time buyers into these plasterboard shoe boxes.
Hence it's down to the council, and their electorate, to try and moderate the market forces and get a development that adds some quality to the local area.
Or just let developers do as they like.
Friday 8 June 2018 12.07pm
sjac wrote:
No, Jules, I disagree. London has a large and growing supply/demand issue when it comes to housing. We really do just need to build MORE. This would also help re- Balance affordability for everyone.
You also need to remember that the addition of the new Bakerloo line station on Old Kent Road will change the location immensely - plus, that Monopoly board was created in 1936, so maybe time we accepted that times have changed.

I also find it frustrating that people are so adverse to the "affordable housing" that is targeted at middle income people/families. They are the ones who have been forgotten by campaigners and planners in central London. The only people who can realistically afford to live central long term are the poor (in council housing) and the rich (and to be honest, a lot of the so-called "rich" live in some pretty tiny places compared to your average council house - it's just that they cost a lot to rent or own, so the occupants must be "rich")

Race to the bottom.
Friday 8 June 2018 12.19pm
So middle income families have been ignored? No, they now live in the council properties that were bought and sold on, where "the poor", couldn't possibly afford anymore.
Friday 22 June 2018 9.42am
Public exhibition next week:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/19591/southernwood-retail-park-redevelopment-plans

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 2 July 2018 12.07pm
48 storeys is ridiculous - that’s 2 less than Canary Wharf Tower and I’ve no idea how the developers have decided that’s “well scaled.” It’s also, so far as I can tell, not even adhering to Southwark’s Development Plan which made provisions for tall buildings in clusters - not wherever a developer felt like, otherwise we may as well not have any planning law and just let the ever constant demand argument ignore existing residents’ views.
Tuesday 27 November 2018 8.31pm
Southernwood planning application here:

https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=_STHWR_DCAPR_9580625&activeTab=summary

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network