Box plants - moth/caterpillars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 17 May 2018 7.46am
This may be a bit trivial to some people given the state of the world but am fighting a somewhat losing battle against these little guys - having tried removing by hand and spraying (stopped now the local sparrows are foraging aggressively in my box plants and feeding their babies). If you have box plants and they are looking a bit peaky and have cobwebbing on please try to tackle your pest infestation! The caterpillars are green and black and wrap themselves in leaves/silk so they can strip your plants at leisure.... Walking along Shad Thames last night Pont de la Tour has a number of affected plants.

My West London friends had 50 plants killed whilst letting out his house (#firstworldproblems) - and I thought we might escape in SE1 given less box planting - but they are here and voracious! I live off Southwark Park Road and have/had about 30 plants - they seem to like box balls the best

We need to unite to fight the green and black menace!
Thursday 17 May 2018 12.36pm
JimG wrote:
This may be a bit trivial to some people given the state of the world but am fighting a somewhat losing battle against these little guys - having tried removing by hand and spraying (stopped now the local sparrows are foraging aggressively in my box plants and feeding their babies). If you have box plants and they are looking a bit peaky and have cobwebbing on please try to tackle your pest infestation! The caterpillars are green and black and wrap themselves in leaves/silk so they can strip your plants at leisure.... Walking along Shad Thames last night Pont de la Tour has a number of affected plants.
My West London friends had 50 plants killed whilst letting out his house (#firstworldproblems) - and I thought we might escape in SE1 given less box planting - but they are here and voracious! I live off Southwark Park Road and have/had about 30 plants - they seem to like box balls the best

We need to unite to fight the green and black menace!

Hopefully not these ones! I only found one in my plants so far, but thanks for the warning!
Thursday 17 May 2018 1.52pm
I think you have box tree caterpillar, not nice. It is rampant in west London as you say.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=851
Thursday 17 May 2018 7.37pm
I was growing a little one, hoping to cut it into a funny shape at some point in the future, but found it completely covered with the critters a week or two ago.
Binned the plant - largely out of consideration for the neighbours and their plants.
Was quite sad, but there you go...

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 18 May 2018 9.50am
Oh my God, I went out to check our building's front garden along London Road and we had like 5 of them completely eaten away! Just looks like furry balls without a single left.
Are they ruined or will leaves grow back next year?
Friday 18 May 2018 10.30am
Spotted this notice on the gates of the churchyard of St John's Waterloo last weekend

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network