4 trees due to be felled in Elliott's Row Pocket Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 18 May 2018 10.07am
I just noticed that the Council will have all 4 trees in Elliot's Pocket park felled due to dry rot (one actually broke last year in high winds). These do not look bad and have green leaves but maybe the council had them probed. Was wondering if they will be replaced? Hoping this cute little park is not going to end up being transformed into another building...
Monday 21 May 2018 9.50pm
It's sad they're going, but I think with good reason. Though it's infuriating the council have left it for weeks after concluding there was a problem - my garden beneath is now vulnerable right at it's prime growth period when there was little that would have been damaged back in March.

I've been in discussion with the council for a while. The trees are vulnerable. I had one felled three years ago after observing rot caused by years of council neglect - ivy growing high into The Crown and deep into the trunks - another came down in the wind this winter. I replanted a Cornus 'Wisley Queen' in its place that is happy and we have Maples in giant tubs. Now the rest of the old trees must go.

New trees will be planted in the winter in consultation with myself and residents of the Hayles Buildings.

The positive upshot of this change is, if the garden can escape being flattened, then it will benefit from more sun and more rain, as it's been a formidable challenge to get this space looking good under the tree cover, and with just three of us regularly attending to it (Nelle, Daniel and myself).
Thursday 24 May 2018 10.14am
I see the trees are going down today. I hope that the beds under do not get damaged. I always love to stop and look at all the beautiful flowers.
Tuesday 29 May 2018 10.01am
1 tree is still up, wondering if they did not have time to finish up or if it was a last minute reprieve and they changed their minds about its condition?
Wednesday 30 May 2018 9.29am
They need to close a parking bay or two because they are anxious the felling of this last tree could damage a car. And the process to achieve this is slow.
Tuesday 5 June 2018 10.37am
They're all gone now and all you can see is the tall Hayles building.
Maybe fruiting trees would be a nice addition? Or what about a Christmas tree that could be decorated every year?
Thursday 7 June 2018 12.02am
Perronetonian wrote:
They need to close a parking bay or two because they are anxious the felling of this last tree could damage a car. And the process to achieve this is slow.

It is sad to note that the Council's concern regards damage to an automobile, and to a living tree...
Friday 20 July 2018 10.41am
You say there are only a few of you tending to the park - does that mean you need more helpers?
Tuesday 24 July 2018 1.28pm
Any news on replacement trees? the old ones must have been in bad repair indeed to remove them just when their shade is so needed...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network