Olympic torch route

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 27 June 2004 12.55pm
In order not to hamper the progress of the Olympic torch along Stoney Street, next to Borough Market, the police swooped to get various cars and vans in Stoney and Park Street towed away, yellow cones put out etc. Police bikes turned up ahead of the alloted time, crowds were controlled, helicopters hovered, expectations raised.......and what happened? The 'parade' hesitated as it turned into Southwark Street from the high Street.....and then carried on past the end of Stoney Street, leaving everyone rather bemused...then the police bikes departed, without explanation. Is this a metaphor for the way we may run the Olympics if we get it? I do hope the selection committee don't hear about this.......

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 27 June 2004 2.03pm by James Hatts.
Sunday 27 June 2004 2.06pm
I was in Park Street, and the problem seemed to be that the buses and support vehicles wouldn't get past the parked cars under the bridge which carries Southwark Bridge Road over Park Street.

The police motorcyclists and torch relay officials in Park Street and New Globe Walk were certainly expecting the flame to pass along Park Street until a couple of minutes before it reached the Millennium Bridge.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 27 June 2004 2.07pm by James Hatts.
Sunday 27 June 2004 9.05pm
What a shame ,

I hope the Olympic torch scattered its magical pixidust of positivity around Borough Market ,and every where else any way

I thought the whole event (from tim henman running through wimblden to rod stuid ,(if thats how you spell it )and bag pips with The Union Jack sticking out ,

was a vision to behold

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 27 June 2004 9.34pm by mickysalt.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: