Solar glare from One Blackfriars

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 10 June 2018 3.59pm
One Blackfriars is reflecting blinding amounts of solar glare from the top 5 floors, making it difficult for me to look out the window at certain times of day.. I found some early plans which said they were possibly going to add some non-reflective coating, but I'm guessing this isn't going to happen, as it looks like it's nearly finished now? I live about half a mile south of the building, I imagine it's even worse for those living nearer.

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s31978/Report.pdf
Sunday 10 June 2018 6.18pm
Still trying to get the triangle burns out of my retinas from the newly built Scalpel over the river. You would have thought after the issues with the Walkie Talkie that planning officers might have thought more about the south-facing aspects of these new buildings.
Monday 11 June 2018 10.24am
Same problem with 230 Blackfriars. Our flat lights up like a laser display when the sun hits that building and we live very close, so it's definitely an issue.
Monday 11 June 2018 3.13pm
Mary12345 I'm glad that you raise this issue. I have the same problem caused by The Shard. What remedies can be sought? Why was the owner of the Walkie Talkie forced to take remedial action but The Shard, The Scalpel, One Blackfriars do not have to do anything?
Monday 11 June 2018 6.06pm
The concave shape of the Walkie Talkie was focusing sunlight into a narrow (and powerful) beam, whereas the other buildings you mention just happen to have a lot of glass. The three-storey building across from my office does the same at certain times of the day/year. The only way to stop this completely would be to ban all glass or reflective surfaces from buildings, but you may face an uphill battle there...
Monday 11 June 2018 6.11pm
MR MC wrote:
Why was the owner of the Walkie Talkie forced to take remedial action but The Shard, The Scalpel, One Blackfriars do not have to do anything?
Because the problem was totally different. None of those buildings are running the risk of causing a fire.
Tuesday 12 June 2018 8.50am
We get a bit of this from the 'Blackfriars Circus' tower, which is not completely glass. It was a pleasant surprise - I like getting some (in)direct evening sunlight into the kitchen. You wouldn't look directly at the sun so don't look directly at the reflection of the sun!

I see it as small compensation for the hour of sun it blocks out earlier in the day.
Tuesday 12 June 2018 6.04pm
For me, part of the problem caused by the solar reflection from the new skyscrapers, and it does seem to be caused by the new glass buildings, is the concentrated nature of the beam of reflected light and its intense brightness - almost blindingly bright.

I'm surprised that the planners don't insist on the non-reflective coatings as mentioned by Mary12345

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network