18-metre tree next to Tower Bridge could be felled

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
ldw
Wednesday 13 June 2018 4.51pm
The Vault restaurant want to fell the tree because its roots are restricting the use of their open-air terrace. NO WAY that tree benefits all people not just a few of your paying customers and your bank account
Wednesday 13 June 2018 5.22pm
How old is the tree? What was there first?
Thursday 14 June 2018 9.20am
Lombardy Poplars are extremely fast growing and have a wide-roaming and disruptive root system. They certainly don't belong near buildings.

I hate seeing any tree felled, but 20 years ago someone appears to have made a poor planting choice and perhaps a better choice of tree should replace this.
Thursday 14 June 2018 9.29am
Does it benefit ALL people? I suspect there are plenty, who would be indifferent to it going and some, with no financial interest, who would be delighted to see it go. There are several more that I would like to see taken away that block pavements and the like. I saw someone in a wheelchair trying to get past one on Harper Road recently. All the could do was go out onto the road and find the next place they could get back up. Not ideal. A smaller/ better located tree would be fine, but having one of the largest in the street located on the narrowest piece of pavement is not appropriate in that instance. Maybe the same is true at Tower Bridge.
Thursday 14 June 2018 11.12am
I walk past that tree every day on my way to and from work, so I made a point of looking at the terrace area for the damage which is supposedly being caused by the roots of the tree. The Vault's terrace area is largely a raised area of decking, with steps up to it. The area in front of that around the tree doesn't look any more damaged than the rest of the paving in Shad Thames, which has plenty of damaged, broken, raised paving stones. If these aren't considered a hazard for pedestrians, I don't see how the same sort of damage around the tree can be considered a hazard either. If the roots are damaging the structure of any buildings, of course, that's another thing, but the area around the tree looks perfectly acceptable for customer usage otherwise.
Thursday 14 June 2018 9.31pm
Objections can be registered here (29 currently)

https://planning.southwark.gov.uk/online-applications/

Search for reference: 18/AP/1580
Wednesday 20 June 2018 4.23pm
The tree was planted in 2004 by Southwark Council in Portland Wharf, land belonging to the City of London Corporation.

The Horace Jones Vault began leasing the Tower Bridge vault in April 2005 and only began using the outside space of Portland Wharf several years later once their seating plans had been approved by Southwark Council.
Wednesday 20 June 2018 7.01pm
Thank you for posting this message on the forum as I had plans to do it myself.

I am a Shad Thames resident and have been responsible, in part, for having five trees planted within the local area in 2004. There were two replacement Limes behind the old Design Museum and two replacement Chinese Privets on Maguire Street. The fifth tree was planted in an vacant tree grill located on Portland Wharf adjacent to Tower Bridge.

All five trees were planted by Southwark Council, the choice of species was based on the previously planted trees apart from the Portland Wharf tree where there was a lack of information on the original tree. The choice of the replacement species for the Portland Wharf tree was made by Southwark who selected the Populus Nigra 'Italica' (Black Poplar/Lombardy Poplar) as it was the same species as the large specimen located outside of the Tower of London. Southwark are committed to the policy of "right place, right tree" so the suitability of the tree for the Portland Wharf location would have been an overriding factor.

I am pleased that the Shad Thames Residents' Association have registered their objection to the planning order to fell the tree and have confirmed their support for having a Tree Protection Order (TPO) placed on this much loved neighbourhood tree.

(please refer to Southwark Councils Planning Application 18/AP//1580 Comments section for full details)
Friday 22 June 2018 9.14am
The planning database now shows that a Tree Preservation Order has been made.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 22 June 2018 6.46pm
What is the world coming to? I'm so fed up of this current climate of tree felling

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network