Safe Crossing for school children in se1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 22 May 2002 7.31pm
It is great that children are being encouraged to walk to school but has anyoone given a thought to how safe it is for these children when crossing the roads to get to their schools?

Every morning I walk my children to school at St Jude's, Colnbrook Street. To get there we meet a lot of children trying to cross busy roads to get to Friars Primary. I find myself saying a prayer for the safety of these children as they do so.
There are no safety measures put in place my children who walk further on to get to school or for childrenin Friars.

Is anything being done about this or am I the only one worried about this?
Monkey Magic
Sunday 26 May 2002 7.52pm
yeah, its about time Southwark council did a proper, comprehensive cross-borough audit of where it is safe and where it is not safe to cross the road, and started spending a bit more money on putting in more pedestrian crossings. There are many examples of "impossible" crossings around the borough. For example, has anyone tried crossing Abbey Street, going north at the junction of Tower Bridge Road, on the east side? Its a nightmare, because just as the last car has run a red on Abbey Street, the Tower Bridge Road stream of cars starts again. God knows how I am supposed to get to the Witherspoons pub up by Tower Bridge, in one piece.
Monkey Magic
Sunday 26 May 2002 8.07pm
But the worst one, by far, is watching the kids crossing the New Kent Road, from the bus stop on the south side, to the schools next to Theobald Street. An extra speed camera on the north side of the road next to Safeways would at least make the four lanes of glorified motorway traffic (revving up to get on to the fly-over) think twice before running down the admittedly reckless kids who refuse to use the nearby traffic lights. But I suppose, now that Calamity Byers has demanded that all the speed cameras are ripped out, (surely not another sop to the motoring lobby?) there is a fat chance of us getting a speed camera. So it will only be a matter of time before another kid gets knocked over on the New Kent Road. Does anyone know what the speed limit is supposed to be outside the Chaucer school, incidentally? I've got a feeling its supposed to be 30, but the cars I see at the beginning of the flyover all seem to be touching 50, so maybe I am wrong. How you can have 4 lanes of traffic regularly doing 50 outside a school, and not have a public outcry, is beyond me, it really is a local scandal. End of rant.
Monday 27 May 2002 7.30am
Your right about New Kent Road! A few years back when I saw cameras up and flashing ( not me the cameras!) I thought great, now the cretins who use N.K.Rd as a race track will get nabbed. No apparently they are bus lane cameras...
Police often have a stop policy using hand held speedo thingys, but they only ever use this on traffic heading torwards the Elephant.
Which is daft they should act on the traffic going towards the Bricklayers. When the drivers see a clear flyover and a clear road in front they acclerate from the traffic lights near the post office, never mind Theobald Street with schoolkids coming out or Bartholomew Street ( and you should see the speed some of them do turning left into a two way street)

I thought the speed limit for all of London was 30? and thats too fast for the conditions in London. Is Byers really talking about taking the few cameras we have away?
If thats the case old Byers has been bought off!
jac
Wednesday 29 May 2002 11.44am
I can Synpathize. I walk my children to school and have to cross ,the junction with borough high street and great suffolk street and borogh road/southwark bridge road. Both have no pedestrian right of way, so you have to cross quickly between light changes. Then I have to cross the roads around St.Georges circus which whilst having zebra crossings are hardly safe, just look at the stae of the railings to see how often cars hit them. It hardly a safe route to school!
Monkey Magic
Wednesday 29 May 2002 9.00pm
and sure enough, someone was killed today at the very same round-a-bout.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: