Tennis courts in Tanner St

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Monday 28 June 2004 4.55pm
I keep trying to play tennis on the courts in tanner street park but end up waiting (literally) hours at peak times. There seems to be some guy professionally coaching on the courts and taking up hours of free public time. Am I the only one who finds this infuriating? I'd rather pay and know that I can play than hang about whilst people practice their serve for hours or make money out of this public facility... grrrrr

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 28 June 2004 5.02pm by James Hatts.
Tuesday 29 June 2004 12.08am
Donc (and anyone else similarly inconvenienced)

As I understand it, anyone carrying on a business (ie tennis coaching for payment) on Council owned property (ie a public park) must obtain a licence from the appropriate department of the local authority, in this case the Parks Department.

If, as a member of the public, you have had to wait whilst someone makes money from a free public facility, please bring this to the attention of the Parks Department at Southwark Council.

Regards

Niall Connolly
Tuesday 29 June 2004 4.23pm
Hi Donc,

we have experienced the same problems. I went on Friday to find 5 people waiting, not including ourselves...so total 8 people waiting to get on. One group had been waiting at least 1 hour.

The 'Tennis Coach' (that is what he called himself although all he was doing was hitting a ball back to his clients and sometimes he was doing passing shots which seems strange for a coach) was on the court for at least 2 hours. He was receiving payment from his customers so it def was not a free community service.

Moreover when i approached the guy that uses a court for more than 2 hours just to practice serving TO HIMSELF, things turned a bit nasty and the 'coach', the serving guy and two other lads from the third court started to get very abusive saying they have full rights to the courts and i should sit down and wait my turn.

When the two lads decided to go off, they passed their rackets to two other younger kids and those waiting still had to wait.

It seems they have a little community down there that seems to think they have exclusive rights to the courts and anyone who wants to use their courts has to do so under their conditions.

If anyone else has Tanner Street Tennis tales, please let us know. I will be approaching the council to hopefully start a booking system, stop 'coaching' on the courts, if necessary start a charging system so the council can recoup some costs and get the courts checked out by the community police so the famous four cant use intimidation to control the courts.

Cheers
Mike

Niall Connolly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Donc (and anyone else similarly inconvenienced)
>
> As I understand it, anyone carrying on a
> business (ie tennis coaching for payment) on
> Council owned property (ie a public park) must
> obtain a licence from the appropriate department
> of the local authority, in this case the Parks
> Department.
>
> If, as a member of the public, you have had to
> wait whilst someone makes money from a free public
> facility, please bring this to the attention of
> the Parks Department at Southwark Council.
>
> Regards
>
> Niall Connolly

Wednesday 30 June 2004 7.23am
I think there is actually an advert for this "coach" - in a window on the left, just as you turn up Tanner St if you're coming from Bermondsey Street. We moved in just opposite the courts a few weeks ago, and I've been down for a look a few times, they are almost aways taken by these people at "peak" times.
Wednesday 30 June 2004 9.16am
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's irked by this - I've contacted the council who have passed this on to their parks department. I reckon that the more who complain the more chance we'll all get of actually playing on the courts instead of watching people make money out of this facility or practice their serve for hours at a time.
Wednesday 30 June 2004 9.25am
Hi Donc,

Can you provide the contact details for the department you contacted. I will call them today and find out about the coaching

After their efforts on Friday night, i would love to see them have to share 'their' courts.

I hate rules but in this case i think they are necessary when there are people without any consideration at all. ie when people are waiting, minimum two players per court, no 'coaching' at all times,
and courts must change hands (to those waiting) on the strike of every hour....something like that. But i think with these guys the community police might have to police it to start with as they dont seem to care about others.

Have you actually got onto the courts?

Cheers
Mike
Wednesday 30 June 2004 9.34am
I have got onto the courts - managed to on Saturday in the rain and the previous Sunday after an hours wait - but twice I've turned up and have given up after an hour. I agree that having some annoying rules is probably the only way to guarantee fairness - two people per court, maximum an hour in peak times & no coaching seems fair enough.

In lambeth you have to book &, annoying as it is, it seems to work. I too felt intimidated by the court hoggers and coach, it's such a shame that we have to resort to contacting the council about this. I wrote online in the 'complaints and comments' section of the southwark website & they responded pretty quicky, my tennis partner's also contacted them so you'll be number 3.. The website is: www.southwark.gov.uk..

donna
Wednesday 30 June 2004 9.35am
There is an ad for tennis coaching in the window of the sandwich shop on the corner of Tanner / Bermondsey Streets, could be the guy hogging the courts?

yrs, Sherlock.
Wednesday 30 June 2004 11.29am
I have called the council, they will be responding to me in the next 5 days...
Wednesday 30 June 2004 12.12pm
Hello SE1,
I just thought it may be of use for you to know that the coach using the tennis courts at Tanner Street is registered with the council and in fact was instrumental to the courts being finished on time. He has put a lot if work into getting those courts up and running and I think he is getting unfair press from the group.

I doubt anyone would object if a football team used a public pitch to practice and/or train on and don't really see how the tennis situation is any different.

As for the coach being abusive toward anyone waiting for a court, this to me seems entirely laughable, in fact he has been making an effort to get a tennis community together in order to offer everyone a chance to play with different opponents and to bring people together on the courts.

Thanks for listening,

James (the new boy)
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network