RV1 bus route to be axed?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 28 September 2018 3.10pm
I have to wonder if the people who come up with these ideas ever actually use the bus routes they consider no longer viable / useful.

I use the RV1 on a regular basis at various times of the day and I have yet to see any of the buses on this route lacking in passengers. Apart from morning and evening commuters, it's also heavily used throughout the day by tourists, as it covers quite a number of tourist attractions on its route from Tower Gateway to Covent Garden. I fail to see how it can't be a profitable route to operate.

What are they thinking? If, indeed, anyone is actually thinking!

Related news & features

Friday 28 September 2018 10.27pm
Almost no bus routes are profitable to operate. This is why TfL’s bus services get £600 million a year in subsidies.
Friday 28 September 2018 11.21pm
The RV1 is just one route: there are others, currently serving the E&C, that are also in the line of fire.
Sunday 30 September 2018 11.19pm
Jules62 wrote:
The RV1 is just one route: there are others, currently serving the E&C, that are also in the line of fire.

Indeed, just Blackfriars Road and London Bridge have nine affected routes (https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/32943d3b/).

In particular, only a year or so after the 388 was extended to E&C to replace the 100 bus, it's proposed to take it away. Instead, the 40 will be rerouted from the E&C to Clerkenwell Green which, I guess will be handy, since the 172 will no longer run St George's Circus to Clerkenwell Green.

The 45 will terminate at E&C, halving the frequency of buses from St George's Circus to Kings Cross.

All of this is at a time when the numbers of people travelling to and from the Blackfriars Road is increasing hugely, with residential flats, hotels, and businesses all moving to the area.
Monday 1 October 2018 9.37am
I did realise that other bus routes were affected, but commented on the RV1 specifically because that's the route I'm familiar with. As far as profitability is concerned - 'heavily used' would probably have been more to the point. On the subject of profits, however, has any one else noticed how often the Oyster card reader is out of use on buses? Apart from the RV1, the only other bus route I use regularly is the 381 and I would say that one in 10, possible two in 10, of the buses I get on are free to use for all passengers, due to the Oyster reader being broken. Given that the 381 is a very long route, running between Peckham and Waterloo via Surrey Quays, it's very busy with both commuters and shoppers. How much is the operator losing in a day I wonder, just on this one route?
Monday 1 October 2018 11.08am
The 388 is the only bus that goes via Liverpool St to Blackfriars it was a wonderful day when it took over from the 100 and extended as far ad it did. Can one oppose the suggestions and where if so please. TIA

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Monday 1 October 2018 6.54pm
dvjj wrote:
Can one oppose the suggestions and where if so please. TIA

Here's the root site for all of the proposed changes -
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/central-london/

Consultation closes Friday 9th November.
Monday 1 October 2018 7.30pm
Agree with all of the above but note the 4 would follow the 388 route but only as far as Blackfriars I have suggested it carries on to E&C.

Also 76 to follow some of the 388 route but not as far as Liverpool Street
Tuesday 2 October 2018 9.33am
Rambling Phil wrote:
dvjj wrote:
Can one oppose the suggestions and where if so please. TIA

Here's the root site for all of the proposed changes -
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/central-london/

Consultation closes Friday 9th November.

9th November is my birthday!

I have emailed... Thanks.

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Tuesday 2 October 2018 11.40am
Thanks for the link.

If tfl are so short of money, they could claw a little back by removing or modifying the 1000 'Heatherwick' buses on which a lot of passengers who should pay currently evade paying a fare.

From travelling on the 21 and 453 on a regular basis, it's interesting to note how many people who should pay do not attempt to. Over my short journeys, mostly outside 'rush hour', my admittedly unscientific estimate is that approximately 20% of passengers at any one time behave with complete impunity, don't pay, and they (no doubt) have well-founded confidence that there will be no inspectors to check. In recent months, I've seen one inspector on a relatively quiet journey. Their task is impossible in busy times.

The poor design and high cost of these vehicles has already been well documented, and it may be a drop in the ocean, but the fact that they are helping to support fare evasion rubs salt in the wound. Another legacy of BoJo's ego.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network