Breakfast on a weekend?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 30 June 2004 1.46pm
i know this has been on the forum before, but does anyone has a good recommendation for a decent breakfast on a weekend in SE1?
needs to be a cross-over between fry-ups and arty-farty food (as my beloved describes it) ie. a good brioche or croissant and he can get his hangover cured with eggs and bacon + good coffee.
places either do one or the other or don't allow children.
maybe there is hope for the new market restaurant upstairs? what is it going to be? any rumours?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 30 June 2004 2.09pm by James Hatts.
Wednesday 30 June 2004 1.49pm
Is that like Pastrami on a Bagel, or Beans on a toast?

Wednesday 30 June 2004 1.54pm
well. non pretentious place which serves both without having to deal with offensive tea or coffee would be nice.

Wednesday 30 June 2004 1.55pm
Young vic cafe is nice - does both and children allowed

Wednesday 30 June 2004 4.51pm
Bemondsey Bar.

Eggs bermondsey !

Sorted and a pint of red Stripe !

Thursday 1 July 2004 11.07am
Anatolian, bartholomew street, working class cafe , do cracking egg and bacon etc.
Friday 2 July 2004 2.42pm
Ooh yeah, The Anatolian has proper bread too doesn't it? Big crusty doorsteps last I was in there.

Interesting post though. I love an eggs benedict and such like but sometimes you just want an untarted-up fry-up, don't you? I can vouch for the smoked haddock with poached egg and hollandaise at The Garrison but I'm not sure they run to eggs, sausage and bubble. The Cat and Cucumber used to do good bubble and of course The Borough Cafe is famous for it. Maybe the only answer is to eat in two different places in Borough Market. Are there two such establishments from within which you could eat your favoured breakfast while waving at each other across the street?

The Hartley seems very popular nowadays, do they do a breakfast?

Rivethead, do you mean the Bermondsey Kitchen? Good brunch? Not sure about the Red Stripe though, coloured water in a trendy tin if you ask me but each to his own.

I'll tell you where the breakfast used to be good. The William IV(?) on Harper Road used to do a massive weekend breakfast with all the gear for both omnies and veggies. This was three or four years ago and I'm afraid I haven't been down there for a while but it used to be marvellous. Not a bad pub too.
Saturday 3 July 2004 10.07am
Not too sure when it opens but the cafe on Lambeth pier is worth knowing about. Standard Italian cafe stuff, with good coffee, but an amazing view of Parliament. Its by Lambeth Bridge opposite Lambeth Palace. A good destination for a walk/jog along the river.
Monday 5 July 2004 4.51pm
Konditor & Cook at the young vic is awesome. I went for the first time Saturday and am overjoyed to have yummy breakfast eggs and afternoon cakes in the neighborhood. Another gem discovered is the cafe at the Museum of Gardening History. Home made food and cakes, and it's lovely in the garden.
Monday 5 July 2004 5.43pm
You've only got another week to enjoy breakfast at the Young Vic before Konditor & Cook (and the theatre) closes for two years though...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: