What is the area like?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 1 July 2004 7.02pm
Hi

I'm thinking about moving into a flat just off Dunton Road, near Old Kent Road. It would be great if someone could please tell me what the area is like, particularly how safe it is and if there are any good pubs / bars within walking distance.

Thanks a lot

Debbie
Thursday 1 July 2004 9.06pm
Hello Debbie, you've made a good start by logging in to this Forum. Have a look in the review section for pubs, bars and restaurants, there's something to suit most tastes and pockets. Also, investigate some of the threads in the Discussion/Chatter areas, people swap tips all the time. I live close to Dunton Road. The Old Kent Road is a tad scruffy sall we say? As for safety, I've never had any trouble around here - be sensible and you should be ok. As for walking distance, how far do you want to walk? The wondrous Arancia is a stone's throw from Dunton Road, while Tower Bridge Road and Bermondsey Street has a nice mix of bars and restaurants - 15 minutes walk away.
Friday 2 July 2004 8.06am
And there's lots of nice people who want to help you drink cider.

Welcome.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 2 July 2004 8.23am
A friend of mine got mugged on the Old Kent Road last week and, as a female, I'd be a bit worried about walking around some bits of the Old Kent Road at night alone (mind you, there's not many bits of London where you can still safely wander around at night, is there?). Having said that, the whole of SE1 is great, really nice people and some lovely pubs etc, wouldn't want to live anywhere else in London now.
Saturday 3 July 2004 11.20am
Thanks a lot for your replies, sounds good!

Cheers

Debbie
Sunday 4 July 2004 5.39pm
regarding safety -

I live on the OK Rd and I'm a (youngish) woman. I've never had any problems, even late at night and having had a few bevvies. As long as you keep your eyes open, walk confidently and avoid badly lit places you'll be as OK as most bits of London.

I used to live in Manchester and believe me, it was far less safe there.

the best pub locally is either the Windmill, just off the Walworth Rd (same rd as Barclays) or the Garrison -see all the many debates about this by searching on this site......also of course there are a ton of good pubs near London Bridge, and also the Royal Oak on Tabard St..

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: