THE place to be

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
rm
Wednesday 7 July 2004 8.50am
Has anyone seen this in today's standard:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/londonlife/articles/11803366?source=Evening%20Standard

It seems that if you are "young, highly-paid and well-connected" then Bermondsey is the place to be!!
Wednesday 7 July 2004 9.45am
Oh good, I can rest assured now that the Standard and a bunch of yuppies (or whatever their current equivalent is called) have endorsed our neighbourhood.
Wednesday 7 July 2004 10.43am
affluentials !!!

IMO sound too much like effluent to be adopted as a badge of pride
Wednesday 7 July 2004 12.13pm
what if we live in the area and we're not that young, reasonably paid, and not that well connected?
Do we have to move house to some of the realy rough areas of London?
Wednesday 7 July 2004 12.22pm

urgh, the kind of lazy-house-prices-dinner-party-conversation journalism that has infected other periodicals (London SarfCentral?) - the Standard (I seem to recall ) is owned by the daily mail group and so is likely to have pretty shoddy standards itself.

btw - you aren't so old Roadrunner and if you open a pub you will be very well connected!
Wednesday 7 July 2004 12.30pm
A qoute from Andrew McDougall of Barclays, who conducted the survey that is the subject of the ES article : "Of course 60,000 a year is only a relatively good salary if you are already on the property ladder" and the spending power of these "affluentials" is "... influencing the way we all live."

What planet does he come from?
rm
Wednesday 7 July 2004 12.33pm
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

60,000 year -something a poor person in education could only dream of......
Wednesday 7 July 2004 1.28pm

Back in 2002 (a swift google search reveals) Barclays were again touting this stuff - then it was the Sheffield suburb of Hallam which was the most likely place to meet these people (should you want to that is). Presumably in 2006 there will be a 'gee whizz - young people don't just live in Chelsea' story too from Barclays. What they are doing I reckon is using a lazy journo at the Standard to take a story which also touts their private banking arm/corporate data-mining services.

That's why I read Metro instead - much better!
Wednesday 7 July 2004 1.33pm
Roadrunner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what if we live in the area and we're not that
> young, reasonably paid, and not that well
> connected?
> Do we have to move house to some of the realy
> rough areas of London?
>

It's not so bad, Jon. Just be aware that if anyone finds out you live round here they might attempt to draw you into a very dull conversation based around house prices, or of the "Oh, how quaint. That part of town didn't exist until recently, did it?" variety.

I find that this is easily headed off at the pass by telling anyone who asks me that I live in Elephant and Castle, or Bricklayers Arms. I never mention Bermondsey, and use Borough only in hushed tones and as a point of reference for friends coming to visit by tube.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 7 July 2004 1.41pm

or a headbut
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: