Anyone know a good plumber for SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 29 May 2002 10.51am
I need a reliable plumber who's not going to rip me off for a small job - a minor leak in my central heating pipes. I'm around Bermondsey Street, and I'll be grateful if anyone has a recommendation.

Thanks

Andrew
Wednesday 29 May 2002 12.37pm
I would like to be recommend one as well - although I can recommend a washing machine repair man!
Mil
Thursday 30 May 2002 2.00pm
Washing machine man - yes please. I plumbed in my own machine but as I am a most un-domestic goddess it only works if the pressure is really low so consequently it now takes 20 mins to get a glass of water. Could you mail me his number please Teresa?
Peter O
Friday 7 June 2002 10.30am
Pimlico plumbers have a very good reputation. They wil charge the going rate for the job so it will not be cheap but they won\'t rip you off. Numbers in the phone book.
Thursday 21 December 2006 3.46pm
marcus,

You should be aware that this is a thread from 2002!

Furthermore, I think you are being a bit harsh -Pimlico Plumbers are fine if you want the job done in an hour's time, or it's an emergency. They turn up very quickly and charge through the nose.

I also don't understand why that is being dishonest - they were quite explicit on their charges when we used them - whilst I wouldn't pay for that for a non-urgent job, there are lots of people want the "Rolls Royce" service and don't mind paying for it.

Needless to say I have no connection, other than being a customer a long time ago.

Loafer
Wednesday 27 December 2006 11.03pm
I just had PIMLICO PLUMBERS fit a shower after getting an estimate from a bozo from another company who could not string a sentence together and who could not be bothered to turn up when he said he would. In comparison PP were quick reliable and efficient. Interestingly their quote was only 200 more than the other company's one and the shower is of far superior quality. Impressively they also talked me out of having anything new that I did not really need. If you go with them ask for Bill kirby - very decent bloke.
Thursday 28 December 2006 6.23pm
About 5 years ago I once had a problem with water pressure in my boiler. Two plumbers came round (one recommended by Barclaycard who had a tradesman referral service) and said that I probably had a leak and that they'd need to rip up the kitchen floor to find it. In desperation I tried Pimlico Plumbers because I'd used them many years previously when I lived in Kennington. They spent 20 mins looking at the boiler and discovered a small part had broken. It was easily replaced at minimal cost.

Consequently when I had to renew my boiler last year I used Pimlico Plumbers. I know they're not the cheapest around but the staff are polite and genuine and you don't feel that you're being ripped off. I'd much rather pay a bit more for a job well done.

No connection etc other than being a very satisfied customer.
Friday 29 December 2006 10.58am
I agree with Loafer.

I rent out property so boilers are my nightmare.

If there is a leak in the middle of the night, they are always my first choice. If I have more time I would use trusted firms like Blue Plumbing (based in Waterloo). In my experience PP employ some very capable, qualified and experienced people. But can be pretty poor as well.

I have been told by other plumbers, that plumbers employed by Pimlico Plumbers are on commission not a wage. Their commission rate goes up the longer they stay. So new employees may well be tempted during a slow period may be tempted to make jobs appear larger or last longer than they should. This has happened to me more than once, and so I am cautious, and would never give them non-emergency work without a second quote and comparing the cost and quality of items such as boilers.

In my experience their really good people often work nights. My assumption has been that with their astonishing night rates, and being on higher commmission, it really pays for a good plumber to work nights. Its a free market. And sometimes you just have to pay.

Remembering the name of someone who was good and asking for them specifically sounds sensible.
Monday 16 July 2007 2.19pm
sarah2 wrote:
If I have more time I would use trusted firms like Blue Plumbing (based in Waterloo).

Another recommendation for Blue Pluming, having woken up to a flooded bathroom, and by coincidence a boiler which had packed up during the night they were here within a couple of hours & fixed both problems for a very reasonable sum.

Nice friendly guys to deal with too.
Tuesday 17 July 2007 2.24pm
I've had a great experience recently with a plumber called Rosie Riley. I found her in a Time Out article listing all kinds of tradesmen and she came round to do two small jobs - fix a leaky toilet (!) and a broken drainpipe. She was very friendly, helpful and professional and charged 99 for about two hours work, which seemed fine to me. Her number's 07932 566 039.

Cheers,

Jessica
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: