Lets create a Southbank Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 29 May 2002 12.56pm
Lambeth & Southwark Council do not represent the needs of SE1 residents properly. This is a fairly unique area with its own problems and highlights, so lets create a new Southbank Borough to represent us properly and set us free from Lambeth and Southwark.
Joey D
Wednesday 29 May 2002 12.58pm
Yes im wanting that one
Wednesday 29 May 2002 3.53pm
north of the borough does seem to be ignored.....Up the Republic!
Thursday 30 May 2002 9.53am
i'm a local reporter and I check up the message boards most days. I'd like to have a chat about with somone from the forum.
You can ring me on 020 8710 6440 or email me at

Tuesday 4 June 2002 6.12pm
It does seem like someone had a sense of humour when they linked Waterloo and Streatham. Absolutely clear that the two areas had a lot in common!

This all became slightly surreal when a 'prominent local citizen' (just not sure if he wants it broadcast - or indeed he sees himself as prominent) responded to Lambeth's UDP by repeating most of the proposals for Waterloo (which took up half the draft UDP) and suggested them for Streatham. A really strong illustration of the pace of change round here, and the lack of understanding by our well meaning but ineffectual local govenment officials.

The answer is not however to simply grant the managemetn of the future of the area to the South Bank Employers Group. They may have done some good things and be more switched on than our local Councils, but they are an interest group (the 17 largeest landowners in the area) and they do not represent, nor are they accountable to the likes of you and I.

Yet, whey-hey, they are about to take over the management of the local Sports Action Zone. Great if you live near Doon St and want a swimming pool, but miserable if you are stuck on an estate in Stockwell, when you may suspect your needs are not high on their list of priorities. They also run the local regeneration programme, and a lot more.

So we do have a local govenment on the South Bank. It is just that it is run to protect the interests of big business. And it is a pity that our local Councils have simply let this happen and are not prepared to stand up for us.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: