Heygate Estate

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Tuesday 13 July 2004 12.58pm
Hello SE1 People

I was wondering if anybody could shine a light on a question i have please.

I have a great aunty that lives in the Haygate Estate, we are trying to find out if any set date or year has been given for the estate to be demolished?

Not being local myself finding it hard to find any information on what is happening.

Regards Wilf

Thank you in advance.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13 July 2004 1.22pm by James Hatts.
Tuesday 13 July 2004 1.18pm
Hello
I don't think anything is definite yet. However there's an exhibition on this week upstairs at the Elephant and Castle shopping centre as follows:
- July 14, 15 & 16, 2004, 2.00pm - 6.00pm
- July 17, 2004, 10.00am - 2.00pm
where you may find out more.

If you cannot make this, the website (which also includes the latest (April) newsletter for Heygate residents) is on the net at http://www.elephantandcastle.org.uk and this also says that for more information you can contact the Elephant and Castle Regeneration Team on 020 7525 4922 or email at elephantinfo@southwark.gov.uk.

Luke
Tuesday 13 July 2004 1.18pm
Hi there,

I am writing from the Elephant and Castle development team and hopefully this answer will clarify the arrangements at Heygate estate. We do hold regular meetings, exhibitions and events, and write a bi-monthly newsletter for residents, but i appreciate you are not living at the Heygate and may not be aware of any of these things.

As you are aware, the Heygate will be demolished as part of the overall regeneration of Elephant and Castle. The Heygate was built in the 1960s when builders and planners had very different ideas about what made good social housing. Over the years it has become clear that the estate is ill suited to modern day living and has now reached the end of its life.

Heygate tenants will be offered brand new Housing Association homes in and around the Elephant and Castle area and those who wish to remain council tenants will be offered a council flat elsewhere in Southwark. Heygate leaseholders will be provided with a range of options to suit their needs.

The overall plan is to move Heygate residents one block at a time, but the council has leant from earlier experiences with previous large scale rehousing projects (such as Peckham where over 3000 households were moved) this doesn't always happen in practice. So whilst blocks are becoming free we will put extra security and lighting in place to ensure that the estate remains as safe as when all the flats are fully populated.

The early housing development and decant (relocation) process for Heygate residents should take about five years from 2004 but it will probably be twelve years before the entire Elephant and Castle development is completed.

If you can get in touch with me at kura.kiddey@southwark.gov.uk, I can provide you with much more specific information pertaining to your aunt's situation.

Best regards,

Kura Kiddey
Elephant and Castle Communications Manager

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13 July 2004 1.22pm by James Hatts.
Monday 21 July 2008 8.43pm
The stretch of Heygate facing the New kent Road is looking about 75% boarded up. Anyone know what deadline the remaining residents are on?
Tuesday 22 July 2008 12.42pm
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/89994/page=1

My prediction is that the boarded-up flats will be refurbished and brought back into use within the next couple of decades.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 1.42pm
Or Squatted, then the council will have to re-home them!
Tuesday 22 July 2008 2.13pm
Council should have left the old flats up in deacon and lion streets had a lot more charactor.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 2.15pm
I have been in Temporary accomadation on the Heygete for 18 months.

It is not safe. there are people taking drugsa on the stairwells, evewry time a flat is vacated a crack house opens up.

In the time i have lived there 3 have been opened on either side of me & it took the council weeks to close them down.

The lifts never work and the rubbish isnt collected on time.

I am lucky if i see a community officer once a month.

it is a joke, safer neighbourhood officers gave me there number, and whenever i tried to call them it went straight to answerphone.
Wednesday 23 July 2008 4.31pm
Cheebs i remember deacon street, cant remember where lion street was?
Sunday 27 July 2008 9.45am
Hi Jan, me mum had friends living in deacon st and lion st, if i remember rightly lion was the second on the left after weymouth st just further up was gurney.
coming into deacon from the walworth rd, we lived at newington butts on the corner of crampton st.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: