Lock-up Garage?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 14 July 2004 8.58pm
Treat me gently, it's my first time here... just about to move from lovely Watford down to the bright lights of SE1, but...

Does anyone know of a lock up garage (for storage, not a car) near Waterloo, the Cut, or thereabouts? Moving to a smaller place, but too many memories to throw away (well, furniture and boxes, as well as memories). Any clues, leads etc appreciated. I am watching Loot and aparkingspace.com but if you can help I'll be very grateful. Longish term, maybe 2 years, expecting to pay around 100 pcm. Clean and dry essential, with easy access as I need to bring things there a bit at a time in my car (no big vans). Help!

Cheers
mark
Anonymous User
Thursday 15 July 2004 7.37am
Mark

There's plenty of storage companies in the area - I've currently got a load of stuff in First for Storage in Druid Street (Tower Bridge) which is working out at around 50 per month. Don't know if that helps.
Thursday 15 July 2004 8.20am
Thanks for the suggestion Birdie,

I've checked out the prices of most of the storage companies on the list on this site and elsewhere (including 1stforstorage), and I think I'll need at least 100 sq ft (my 50 sq ft garden shed is already too full, and there's a heap of furniture as well).

That size costs about 175-200 pcm according to their web sites - a 16 x 8 garage would do the job just fine, and I'm just trying to save that extra 75-100 per month. Too much stuff, too bad at de-cluttering...

There's a lovely block of garages on Pocock Street that I regard with envious eyes as I drive past each day - but how to get hold of one of them? I presume they belong to nearby block of flats...

Cheers
mark
Thursday 15 July 2004 8.24am
You could always meet a lot of new residents by holding (what sounds like it would be) SE1's biggest ever jumble sale, and save so much on storage that you could follow the sale with a massive housewarming party.

[welcome. hope you like it here]

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Thursday 15 July 2004 8.32am
I know the garages you mean. If they are council run you can apply to Southwark to rent one if there are any free.
Thursday 15 July 2004 9.51am
You'd think a mega-jumble would be an option wouldn't you!

We've filled a large skip, made four trips to the charity shop and I'm shoving stuff on to ebay as fast as I can, and we _still_ have a garage-worth... and it's only a two bed house.

Minimalism and us are very distant strangers .

Although the jumble sale sounds a cunning plan, it would be shortly followed by some brutal and specific surgery by my other half - what is left is the stuff we just cannot possibly part from (apparently) - it's for when we get the *big* house (the one after the one after the next one...), and each item has a specific personal, family or just sentimental connection. And all my boxes of collectibles are of course not even up for discussion.

We watch those House Doctor and Life Laundry programmes with a mixture of envy and fear, as you can see...

Sigh...

Contacting Southwark Council sounds plausible tho'

Thanks for the ideas!
Mark.
Thursday 15 July 2004 11.54am
At 1200 per annum, after a few years you'd have a lot more money to spend on that big house!
Thursday 15 July 2004 12.08pm
Garages are like hens teeth in SE1. You'll be very lucky to get one. I would think that council garages are only available to council tenants, and on most estates there's a long waiting list.

I'm the world's worst declutterer, I just cant seem to do it, but its the only solution I think.
Friday 16 July 2004 10.11am
how about pile the boxes in a corner, and cover them in a tastefull curtain, or throw. It works in our one bed flat!

[editted to corect speling]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16 July 2004 10.56am by Roadrunner.
Friday 16 July 2004 10.57am
My neighbour was on the waiting list for a garage for 14 years, last year he was finally allocated one. I can vouch for the long waiting list from the council!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network