Nelson Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 15 July 2004 11.31am
I ended up in Nelson square by mistake in my car. Having found it, I went to look at the houses at 44-47. IIRC they were up for auction about 18 months ago, with a guide price of about 1.5m.

Even now, they look totally unloved & derelict - and had a Barnard Marcus 'Auction' board outside. Does anybody know what is going on there? I see they're still on the buildings at risk register.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/bar/asp/details.asp?barID=3733

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15 July 2004 2.20pm by James Hatts.
Thursday 15 July 2004 12.15pm
They were loved for at least 100 years - as the HQ of the Blackfriars Settlement (recently moved to Rushworth St, having decided to sell the houses).
Interestingly, Blackfriars settlement bought 3 of them in 1894 for 4,850. In 1976, faced with large maintainance bills, they nevertheless decided not to sell them because this would raise only 70,000.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15 July 2004 2.21pm by James Hatts.
Friday 16 July 2004 10.16am
is that your car in the photo on the website mapmaker?
Friday 16 July 2004 10.49am
It appears to be up for auction on 28 July at Barnard Marcus's sale at the Cafe Royal with a guide price of 1,175,000 plus. The description of the lot is no 44, but the catalogue entry does seem to include nos. 45 and 46.

It has planning consent for 9 self contained flats, but the auctioneers add:
"The properties may be suitable to provice 3x 5floor properties, subject to any necessary consent"

http://www.barnardmarcusauctions.co.uk/
Monday 19 July 2004 9.52am

Thanks for finding that link, LR.

So much for house price inflation. I'm sure it was up for a lot more than that last time - and it appears that some work has been undertaken since then. Consent for 9 flats represents the whole 3 houses.

Anybody for forming a consortium to buy the 3 of them & resurrect them into houses?

Monday 19 July 2004 6.28pm
We were having a good look around them last week and we ended up chatting to a lady on her balcony in the flats overlooking the houses....she seemed to know all about them and claimed that they had been messed around alot and since they are grade II listed buildings they would need a lot of corrective work!!!..........I guess she's right as it seems work has come to a stop half completed.

Buying them and resurrecting them into houses sounds a great idea, Count me in.............
Tuesday 20 July 2004 7.16am
I've spoken to the owners in the past... It seems that the consortium has run out of cash and are desperately trying to break even... The scheme itself for 9 flats isn't that well considered either...
Wednesday 21 July 2004 11.14am
I'd forgotten that Blackfriars Settlement have a stained glass window in Christ Church Southwark with a picture of the former Nelson Square offices.

BLACKFRIARS SETTLEMENT - text on Christ Church website

Wednesday 21 July 2004 10.40pm
It is nice to know, that someone finds our beautiful square even by accident! Are there any other writers here from around the square?

Those few remaining houses, that now again are under auction, show what the square would have looked like before the war, and before the council blocks were built in the late 50s.

It is great, that the square itself has survived, but considering the recent activity around this part of the borough, I would not be surprised, if somebody wanted to build on the land... I sincerely hope, that the houses at 44-47 will survive and get a new life as living quarters.

Things are changing very fast here, after Southwark council has cleared their backlog of right-to-buy -applications, surprisingly many flats are now changing hands and my letterbox is flooded with leaflets from estate agents looking for more properties. There is extensive rebuilding of flats in every direction (I get woken up by drilling noises from not one, but three directions, thank god for earplugs), Palestra is going up rapidly cross the road, even the council is changing our old bike sheds for disabled flats. Both private and public sectors look for property here, Elephant regeneration will leave 3000 council tenants in need of rehousing, so no spot of empty land is safe. The resident's garages in Surrey Row are under threat to be developed into housing, god knows what next.

There has even been disagreement here, how to deal with developers, after some residents were not happy to see the community association's general meeting held at builder Skanska's offices across the road, as these developments also cause so much grief to the residents (noise, power cuts, dust) Also the association's accepting sponsorship from Land Securities, who are involved in the Bankside 1,2,3 project did not go down well with some. Unfortunately all the squabbling will do little do help to get the residents' voice heard, when all these projects surround out living area.

Sorry for the long post, just thought somebody might be interested to hear news from this corner of the borough, as we mostly read about Bermondsey on this forum! (Incidentally, I have posted here before, but as my identity was revealed in connection with the postal service thread, and I was also kicked out from the Central Postal Survey, I have now assumed a new nick just to be on the safe side!)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21 July 2004 11.44pm by nelson.
Wednesday 28 July 2004 1.15pm
Hi Nelson

I've sent you a Private Message in response to this post.

Lil Wolf :c)
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: