Mugging on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 15 July 2004 2.05pm
Last night, at about 1.20am (so that's technically today) I was mugged on Bermondsey Street by a black youth. He was on a bike and wearing (I think) a grey tracksuit with the hood up. He looked young, maybe 16-18. He threatened violence but I didn't actually see a weapon. I continued walking south down Bermondsey Street and then into Leathermarket Street, while he stayed on his bike next to me. I handed over bank card, cash, mobile phone and digital camera. He kept demanding my wallet but I kept telling him I didnt have one (which was true).

I have lived in Leathermarket Court for the past 7.5 years. I have walked home down Bermondsey Street and Weston Street at all times of the night. Although I have always been aware that this can seem quite a scary area at night, I have reassured myself that, until now at least, I have never had any problem.

Am I right in thinking that there has been an increase in muggings in this area recently? Or is it seasonal, with more crime action in the summer?

I'd appreciate any advice / comments on this subject. The silver lining on this cloud is that I escaped completely unharmed.

Thanks.

Vic
Thursday 15 July 2004 2.09pm
Sorry to hear about this Vic, this is very bad news.
Thursday 15 July 2004 3.40pm
>>I'd appreciate any advice / comments on this subject

Bad luck, no fun for you. Not sure there is any practical solution though, apart from moving somewhere where people like that do not prey. You could move to the Highlands?
Thursday 15 July 2004 7.10pm
That's terrible, Vic - there were a couple of people mugged around the leathermarket last year - one of them came into the pub for assistance - he was attacked by a young black guy too. I think it's still fairly rare around here though. Still, might be time to start carrying a personal alarm/can of mace!
Thursday 15 July 2004 8.37pm
Vic,

Sorry to hear of your experience.
I have been mugged before .although not on Bermondsey St.
Unfortunately I was injured, although not too seriously. Tis a terrible shock though.
Until 2 years ago I lived on Grange road, and also walked Bermondsey street at all times of the night, although I must admit it always unerved me.

Since moving to the Shad thames area I have not felt so uneasy but maybe we should all be more on guard.

Best wishes Vic, keep doing as you always do and don`t show anyone that they can win by making you scared.

Jo
Friday 16 July 2004 7.27am
My initial response was shoot the b***d if you see him again...
Vic did you have your possessions on display? not that it should make any difference as we all have the right to walk unhindered by little pieces of excreta looking for the money for his new trainers or crack!..

This area is still the safest in London, now and again you'll have a spattering of these incidents..

Thankfully you were not harmed, how about one of these personal alarms? or mace spray? or machine guns? if they keep getting away with it unharmed they will continue to do it, I'd be more worried if there was two /three of them, as they have peer pressure to inflict more violence to prove themselves strong hard men...worthy of ' respect '...in which case give them anything they want.!
th
Friday 16 July 2004 9.27am
Oh no that's awful....I walk down Bermondsey street late at night all the time, and do sometimes feel a little vulnerable.
Although maybe not so late at 1.20am....It always feels a bit 'safer' when the pubs are still open.

Friday 16 July 2004 9.39am
Thanks everyone for your interesting and kind words. It just occurred to me that my moniker might be seen as female when I am in fact male. So maybe that is why I am now giving myself a hard time about whether I was too much of a soft touch, and why did I engage in a conversation with this little sh*t?? Why did I so lamely hand over my precious camera with all my personal digital photos still on it? I will definitely be getting some mace and maybe a rape alarm, which may sound odd for a male but I'm wondering if making a serious amount of noise would be enough to startle the mugger in the same way that they startle us victims? Anyway, am having some major revenge urges at the moment! Thanks again.
Vic
Friday 16 July 2004 9.43am
I am surprised and shocked to read about your mugging Vic; I often walk down Bermondsey Street after midnight, and have never felt threatened or vunerable, however, I shall be more alert now.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention - sorry it had to happen to you though.

Friday 16 July 2004 9.48am
While I sympathise with Vic I'd like to add to some of the comments already made to say that it could have happened anywhere and in the 10 years I've lived in the immediate vicinity of Bermondsey Street I would agree that it's still fairly rare. This seems especially true when you consider that we really are in central London.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: