BECKET HOUSE, TABARD ST

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 16 July 2004 12.20pm
Hi

Thinking of moving into Becket House, Tabard St. Any bad points about estate or area?

Reponse would be greatly appreciate whether good or bad.

Cheers
Friday 16 July 2004 12.23pm
Whole area is great. I have the opportunity to move on but I'm begining to realise how much I love it here. Do it.
Friday 16 July 2004 12.32pm
Cheers mate,

Do you live in the estate I've heard it's really friendly. I'm originally from New Cross, but moved to Nottingham and absolutely hate it as I miss all my mates and London and watching Millwall. Have met a nice couple from Becket House who want to exchange. I don't know what it's like can you fill me in.

Cheers
Friday 16 July 2004 12.36pm

there are some good pubs nearby...
Friday 16 July 2004 1.44pm
I lived almost opposite for a year or two and now live around the corner (2 minutes walk) and would confirm that it is pretty freindly. Relatively quiet too in some ways. I guess the astroturf can get noisy but it's away from main roads and stuff. It has a park which has just been tarted up and there are trees all up and down the local streets. A blackbird singing on a sunday morning is a wonderful thing to hear. There's a great cheapish Indian up the street and the Royal Oak on Tabard Street is thought of by many to be one of London's finest. The traditional English food and beer there is a joy. Work is underway for a 25 story (or thereabouts) tower block the other end of the street which some may regard as a blight while others may welcome the addition of a local Tesco with is set to open there when it's finished.

All in all the area is now a real mix of different people with different backgrounds and incomes etc. One end of Long Lane has a lot of building going on as more and more gated blocks are going up and this is reflected in some of the new businesses like The Hartley, Simon the Tanner and The Bermondsey Kitchen. There are still some good old fashioned local pubs too and of course we're near the river and London Bridge and all that.

You'll see from the way people talk on this forum that poeple do love living here. Keep posting and come and meet up with some of us when you've moved in.
Friday 16 July 2004 1.56pm
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll definately give you a shout when we move up.

Take care.

Best wishes Ally
Friday 16 July 2004 2.34pm
Area - fantastic.

Estate - gawd, where to start????

I live on the Tabard, but the other end. Yes its friendly and there's definitely loads of good stuff about it. But the Co-op that manage the estate have had upheaval after upheaval in the last few years, which has been reflected in the service to residents, and its all fraught with 'local politics'. Better stop there - its an involved story. Look at some of the previous postings on this site to get a flavour.

Dont let that put you off totally, everywhere has its problems. Hope you make a good choice.
Friday 16 July 2004 2.54pm
Thanks for that, I know what you mean every place does have it's problems.

Cheers

Ally

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network