Swimming Pools

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 9 June 2002 12.19am
Can anyone suggest a good swimming pool.

I'm based in Waterloo area.
Sunday 9 June 2002 7.29am
David try the Oasis Sports Centre - it has indoor and outdoor pools, gymnasium,squash, a variety of things - to many to mention - it may seem a disance from waterloo but it's only five minutes over the bridge, I can't remember what bus now drops you nearby 63? 188?

the phone number is 7831 1804

it's 32 Endell Street,
W.C.2.

it's now open from 6.30am to 10pm Mon - Friday
Saturday/sunday 9.30 to 6

have a good swim....
Dav
Tuesday 11 June 2002 10.57am
Good idea Jan - is that the one on High Holborn? The 172 goes to Aldwych, 188 probably better(?), 63 goes to Kings Cross via Blackfriars not Holborn (I found that out to my cost last week!).

I must admit trying for swimming pools - the one at Surrey Quays is very ropey, always has an unhgienic feel etc and the only local options beyond this seem to be the expensive city / london bridge gyms but not sure if they allow you to go for a swim for a fee.

Jan - do you remember the E&C pool? Apparently it was closed down for health & safety reasons - cockroached no less! Hence my worry about Surrey Quays!!
Tuesday 11 June 2002 6.27pm
Thought the E&C closed cos of rats. it was pretty foul.

The Queen Mum in Victoria is fine. And you can swim in Dolphin Sq Pimlico on a pay per visit basis. (Very thirties, with posh people swimming seriously in lanes.) We go to the Latchmere in Battersea which is a bit of a hike.

And try the Lidos in Brockwell and Tooting. The water is always freezing cold.

If you have dosh, the pool at the Livingwell Health Club on Millbank is large and usually empty. (Or was usually empty in the days when I did have dosh.)
Tuesday 11 June 2002 11.38pm
I can't swim but have tried to learn a couple of times and the swimming pool I used was Ironmonger Row - off Old Street. I am no judge of pools but its one some one might like to try.
Tuesday 11 June 2002 11.39pm
Ironmonger Row? A dreadful place! Very dreary.
Tuesday 11 June 2002 11.45pm
David as I recall the Elephant and Castle Leisure Centre( the correct title as i recall!) closed down not just because of Rats/ Cockroaches/ staffing problems, but due to the fact of such shoddy design and building practice -- it was perilous to swim there or use the building, I was told by a relation that the roof was in danger of falling in!

Which makes more sense when you think of the enormous amount of money that was invested in the building, that was how the then Council justiffied in pulling down the Grange Road Baths , and the magnificent baths in Manor Place, and while I am at it why can not the Council re-open Manor Place?

the pools are still there but just hidden under artificial flooring - why cannot a independant building surveyor go and and investigate the possibilty of re-opening it... I think the council are just waiting until the ratepayers of Southwark have forgotten it to sell this lovely building off...I think only the dustmen and refuse department use it now...

Sorry to ramble David, but I have seen so many resources disappear drom Southwark - on the grounds of not being needed...i.e. the schools! a;; sold off......now Ken has admitted since 1989 the population has exceeded what they thought it would be.. in a few years time another SEVEN HUNDRED THOUSAND will move to London.
i.e. enough to populate Leeds! no schools, no swimming pools, no proper parks with Park Keepers in their brown uniforms.. no real life if you have children in fact! and as it's now quarter to one and I have to be up at 6am in the morning and my
typing is pretty erratic after too much vodka!
Night Night...God Bless......don't forget your water wings and bus pass!
Jan....:-)
Wednesday 12 June 2002 8.34am
Sorry to have made you read through all that David.....it's lethal combination you know......tiredness/ alcohol/ the very late hour......reading that back at nine thirty in the morning, I realised my kids are right...I do waffle on!
Thursday 13 June 2002 11.03am
Don't apologise, Jan - I love reading your reminiscences & views on the area.
Thursday 13 June 2002 4.07pm
I've found it difficult to find Swimming Pools in London where you're not in danger of having people swim into you, children jump into your path etc.
However, I've joined Holmes Place Health clubs and they have some good pools, though of course it costs more than council run pools. Off peak memberships aren't bad - forces you to go 4 times a week to gain value for money!
Watch out for ducks...
m
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: