Mosquitos?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 22 July 2004 11.57am
Has the silly season started, or are we really being pestered by mosquitos now? Evening Standard (Homes & Property -section) had a piece yesterday on mosquitos breeding on the building site of former Sainsbury's head office in Stamford Street. Apparently there are large green pools of stagnant water left to accumulate, providing perfect breeding ground for the insects.

Apparently residents of Kings Reach flats have complained saying "it is an unwelcome experience, and not an extra they expected when they bought 1 million apartments ib central London"
Thursday 22 July 2004 12.13pm
I remember reading about a massive problem with mosquitos in Richmond last year - there's a sewage plant there that they breed at in their thousands - so no reason why the little blighters won't have come in a bit ! However, (to date) UK mozzies haven't been found to carry West Nile fever or similar.

Did the Standard article mention there are also council regs in most London boroughs which allow the council to order the clear up of pollution from private land such as building sites ?

Edited to say - the regs refer to "pollution" not specifically to stagnant water, but a couple of london boroughs have used them for this.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22 July 2004 12.50pm by Siduhe.
Thursday 22 July 2004 12.16pm
It says that the residents have tried for three months to get Sainsburys as the site owners to clear it, but after repeated promises and assurances they contacted Homes & Property.. No mention of the council being involved.
Thursday 22 July 2004 2.36pm
But it mentions that 'fatal malaria cases in the UK doubled last year' [from 1 to 2?] and that 'mosquitoes can also spread the deadly West Nile virus... and there havebeen 2,874 cases of this in America this year - causing 53 deaths'

Thursday 22 July 2004 3.06pm

hmmm, I wonder whether the "'fatal malaria cases" were contracted here or abroad?

I didn't read the article - is this a real plague and nuisance or is it a wealthy home-owner with too little left to complain about?
Thursday 22 July 2004 3.07pm
I think the story is being put about by Mapmaker so that he can get his hands on the Nelson Square properties more cheaply!
Monday 26 July 2004 10.25am
Red Bus-not a 'wealthly owner with little to do' but someone simply lucky enough to rent a property on the river! Should we be penalised for our right to choose where we live and enjoy doing so?

BUT on a very personal basis this really is a problem.!

My partner and I are both being bitten every night by these mosquitoes and we are unfortunately also allergic to them .So much that the pain and irritation form the bites is constant enough to keep us awake at night -never mind their habit of sounding like they are dive bombing you all night to make absolutely sure you don't sleep at all!. Sleep deprivation is a really effective form of torture!This is despite plug in mosquito repellants, liberal spraying of anti-mosquito sprays, swallowing copious amounts of vitamin B12(it's supposed to repel the little b******s!) and burning citronella oil. Nothing seems to stop them. Any tips would be gratefully received!

I understand that Sainsbury's are now installing a pump to empty the stagnant water but I think I'll go down the 'council intervention' route now-thanks Siduhe.!

Monday 26 July 2004 1.17pm

My wealthy riverside dweller quip comes from the quote above "...not an extra they expected when they bought 1 million apartments in central London..."

It does sound awful. I would suggest:

(a) keeping windows closed
(b) if you want to keep them open, then tack some cut mosquito netting to the window frames... it is probably cheaper than lots of citronella candles and B12 supps. (helpful link below)

http://www.safariquip.co.uk/acatalog/SafariQuip_Mosquito_Nets_1.html
Monday 26 July 2004 1.21pm
They don't like to fly if there's a draft so if you have fan on in the bedroom that might help. With a fan also I guess you could keep the windows shut.
Monday 26 July 2004 1.38pm

If you make a lightweight frame from wood, put netting over the frame and then attach the frame around the window using velcro, you can take the netting off easily when not required...

Regards,

Loafer
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: