New cruise ship terminal for London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 2 August 2004 4.36pm
Having been pleased to see more liners docked in the Thames recently, I only noticed today that there is a new floating terminus for them near Shad Thames. As press release from POLA site shows below it was comissioned in July.

I think this is brilliant. I shall start saving to go on a cruise starting in SE1. By next year I might have enough to go to the Baltic states and St Petersburg in style. Or will this just be for tourists from abroad? If the latter, that might mean more tourist money for SE1. So still good, but not as romatic as walking onto a ship to take you to faraway places.

And am I imagining it, or is the river more busy this summer than it was last summer?

"New cruise ship terminal for London
13-Jul-04

New cruise ship terminal for London

A new passenger cruise ship terminal for London opened today. Designed, constructed and owned by the Port of London Authority, the facility is a key step in attracting more international cruise ships to visit London. The commissioning ceremony took place on the Thames at Greenwich with Keith Hill MP, Minister of State for London.

The purpose-built floating terminal will be used by passengers beginning and ending their cruises in central London. Modelled on an airport layout, it includes the very latest security screening, segregating passengers and their luggage. The facility fully meets the requirements of the new ISPS (International Ship & Port Security) code. There is also provision for on-site Immigration and Customs.

Because it is a floating terminal, the Port of London Authority will be able to use it for cruise ships moored at Greenwich and at Tower Bridge. Now ships up to 240 metres long and up to 1000 passengers will be able to sail into the heart of London and carry out full passenger and baggage embarkation and disembarkation.

Commenting on the new terminal, Geoff Adam, head of marketing at the Port of London said:

“This innovative new floating passenger terminal is a world first. It is attracting considerable interest in the world cruise industry and we are confident it will attract more cruise ships to London. This is good news for the Thames and a boost to London's tourist economy.”

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: