Where are the Home Sewing Enthusiasts in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 2 August 2004 9.36pm
SE1 is rather a 'culture shock' to me when it comes to HOME SEWING - ideas, fabrics & finding other people with a similar interest.....

I've moved here from Aust with my family & moved away from having 4 fantastic fabric shops all within a 5min walk from my home & being able to spy a piece of fabric, purchase it & rush home with my idea bubbling away, & if I'm lucky, being able to make up my project straight away. Rather hard to do the same in SE1 though.

Interested in linking up with home sewing enthusiasts & finding out where to shop for fabrics (rather than on the net) in & around London. Especially when making little girl's clothes!

Monday 2 August 2004 9.52pm
Hello debra, that reminds me, I really should try sewing those tapestries I designed several years ago, and never got around to doing. When I do, I shall get my materials from any of the several textile shops in Soho's Berwick Street or Brick Lane. One of the shops in Brick Lane has the best name of any shop in London: Touching Cloth.

Ignorance is bliss

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 2 August 2004 10.05pm by barkyhead.
Monday 2 August 2004 11.50pm
If you want to find fabulous fabrics, then it's worth a trip out to Southall. I've heard Wembley is good for fabrics, too, but never been there (for fabric) myself.

But, as a whole, it's hard to find a good haberdashery in central London. Berwick Street's okay for fabric, but not so good for wool, etc. And when I bought fabric there a few months ago, I still had to go to John Lewis for my thread, needles, bones, zips, buttons, etc. John Lewis's haberdashery used to be good, but is half the size it was a couple of years ago (and why on earth do they have fabric and patterns on a different floor to thread, needles, boning etc.?)

Liberty sells beautiful fabric, but no longer stocks patterns.

And it's virtually impossible to find crochet patterns these days...

Tuesday 3 August 2004 9.42am
There is a lovely shop on Marylebone High Street which sells lots of ribbons, buttons, zips etc. I think they have a small selection of fabrics as well.
Tuesday 3 August 2004 11.21am
According to my colleague, there is a great fabric store on Broadwick Street in Soho.
Tuesday 3 August 2004 12.46pm
Berwick St does have lovely fabrics, and some places round the corner on D'ablay St and Broadwick St. Also very good for trimmings is Ellis and farrer on Beak St. The place in Marylebone is called V V Rouleaux and is gorgeous but tres cher, but has the biggest range of ribbons, fake flowers and so on that I've ever seen. As for John Lewis - the newly redone Peter Jones has a bigger and better haberdashery section now...
Tuesday 3 August 2004 11.34pm
try the kniting and stiching show at Alexantra palace

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 3 August 2004 11.40pm by mickysalt.
Wednesday 4 August 2004 9.11am
Would it be too cheeky to ask if anyone would do me a few buttons.....?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 4 August 2004 10.34am
I'll show you how, if you like.
Wednesday 4 August 2004 10.37am
Oh I could do with lessons on that too - my mum failed me miserably by not teaching me that life skill!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: