The New Kent Road has moved...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 3 August 2004 5.21pm
Tuesday 3 August 2004 6.48pm
Just what would longstanding locals call that end of the NKR?

I'd say Bricklayers Arms, but I'm not sure that anyone who doesn't make a habit of driving would notice that name on top of the direction signs at the roundabout, and I have a vague idea that the bus stops of that name are all east of the roundabout.

Does anyone call it Walworth? Southwark Council now describe the whole ward covering the area between the NKR and Burgess Park and some points east as "East Walworth". The victorian Parish for most of that area was St John Walworth
Tuesday 3 August 2004 8.20pm
When I lived in Mina Rd. My bank statements were always addressed 'Walworth', I'm now a couple of hundred metres further south-east, and now they're addressed 'Southwark'.
Tuesday 3 August 2004 11.50pm
It's such a posh house it has a clock room.

Wednesday 4 August 2004 8.29am
One of my mail order cataglogues has my address as Waterloo and I live in Pages Walk.
Wednesday 4 August 2004 10.22am
>St John Walworth

Now with the Lady Margaret (Beaufort). The mission of St John's College, Cambridge who, instead of choosing a Saint for their church, chose their foundress. Only in Cambridge...
Monday 9 August 2004 12.33pm
The way the "town" in addresses in areas like this is chosen always seems to cause arguments! I work at John Lewis and we use postcode lookup to complete addresses, and even if the address is entered manually the system always inserts a town. So here at Elephant & Castle my address is Southwark, which is one of those places that doesn't really exist. It's always quite funny when people seem slightly offended when it is suggested they live in Willesden or Brixton!
Monday 9 August 2004 2.57pm
Well apparently I live in Bermondsey according to official post, even if the council these days prefer to call this area Bankside and Borough... and there is an underground station called Southwark across the road from me. I never know what to say, when asked where I live.
Monday 9 August 2004 4.18pm

How unpleasant !
Borough is much preferable to Bermondsey.
Monday 9 August 2004 5.22pm
Oh you are a pompous bus, Red!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: