Bermondsey Square regeneration

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
alan
Wednesday 12 June 2002 5.46pm
There are numerous websites about the regeneration of Bermondsey Square by Arup and Urban Catalyst. Has anybody any news on this or its timetable?
Sam
Thursday 13 June 2002 8.31am
There is an extensive thread on this somewhere in the forum. Perhaps James has it archived and could find it for you?
Thursday 13 June 2002 8.51am
That would be really useful - it looks quite interesting but hard to understand how it fits with the locality. Also, any detail is quite sketchy and dates from some time back.
MM
Thursday 13 June 2002 8.22pm
Its currently with Southwark Council Planning Officers for a decision, but that could be some weeks away. Given how contentious it is, I presume it will then have to have full councillor sign-off. These things then can get batted off to the GOR for appeal, which takes another month or two at least, then ultimately the SoS (unlikely in this case). Either way, I would be surprised if anything happens before the tail end of this year.
Thursday 13 June 2002 11.04pm
When you talk about the Re-generation of Bermondsey Square - do you mean the open space where the Friday market is held? There used to be a petrol station there - right opposite the White Bear pub.

If so I remember way back - about 30 years ago - I was told that they could never build there (I suppose he meant above a certain level) as the"Blue River" ran below. I have never heard of this before or since so I don't know how true it is.

If you find out anything about the Blue River I would be interested to hear.

Teresa
Jan ( The Old One!)
Friday 14 June 2002 5.16am
Teresa, there was a small river that ran along under a part of Great Dover Street/New Kent Road(?) then followed the direction of Green Walk , left into Tower Bridge Road then meandered to Grange Walk which is right near the White Bear Pub........I read about it in a old book describing the sewers of llondon ( Underground London) I think... ( I know I have interesting reading tastes)
It makes sense because was there not a Bevington Mills in Abbey Street which may have relied on a water sourse, then it would have run to Dockhead water/Tooley Street to the Thames....
I think your right.
Friday 14 June 2002 8.54am
You're right, Jan - one of the books on local history I've been reading mentioned this river, although they called it the Neckinger stream, and it did provide water for the mills.
Friday 14 June 2002 9.05am
<a href="http://www.thouposbrook.com/bermondsey/1800.html">1849 - Morning Chronicle describes river Neckinger as 'The very capital of cholera' and the 'Venice of drains'.</a>
James
Friday 14 June 2002 10.37am
Does anybody have these links to which Alan refers? It sounds quite fascinating, the place could do with a bit of a facelift. Is it on the architects\' sites?

That supermarket in Tooley Street which has crept into the popular culture of this forum and appears on thread after thread. Fact or fiction?

It appears that all the users of supermarkets on this forum (not unreasonably) do not like the current SE1 ones. That\'s probably because the gentry population of SE1 is probably insufficient to maintain a decent Waitrose, and the majority of the shoppers are not worth (in the eyes of the powers that be) a smart supermarket selling smart food: row upon row of loo roll, canned baked beans and oven chips they will remain. One has a nasty feeling that a Tooley St. supermarket will be no different - can somebody please confirm otherwise?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: