Nelson Square Gardens

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 5 June 2001 12.29pm
For all the Council bashing, much justified, they have done a great job in Nelson Square with a great new playground and football pitch. There are now heaps of kids playing there everyday.
Tuesday 19 June 2001 7.18pm
the residents of nelson square have found their newly rerubished square has attracted adolescent youths from far and wide. Unfortunately for the residents, these youths come into the square most evenings and are there until 12.00 - 1.00am laughing, talking loud and even worse driving their scooters around like hornets late into the night. they play the game of 'chicken' driving their scooters at each other and swerving away when they get close. Even during the hotest nights residents have to close their bedroom windows because they are kept awake by the continual banter and noise. as for the design of the square who's idea was it to build a football pitch next to a flower garden? with so little fencing, and at that a blue and yellow pitch! now we have youths pounding footballs over the fences into the new plants and retrieving them tramping all over the plants. yes nelson square did need refurbishing, but could we not have taken the example of the old victorian square which it once was and restored to its previous elegance? it is now an ugly noisy eyesore.
Sunday 24 June 2001 11.05am
For all the new facilities in the area: bars, resturants, art galleries, there is precious little for kids to do. Not surprising then, that when something attractive is built, it is innundated. Then the next time someone asks for something for the kids, it will be refused because 'residents' will complain.
I can understand that no one wants to live next to something that attracts all the neighbourhood youth. But we all should want the areas young people to benefit from the prosperity coming into the area, rather than continually lose out from things like the closure of the playground at Jubilee gardens, or plans that will affect the inadvertant but popular skateboard park under the railway bridges by the NT.
Friends of Archbishops Park are taking part in a similarly bizarre debate about the use of the football pitches in Archbishops. Booking costs 30-00, which Kids cannot afford, so they are not supposed to play on them. Following strong lobbying from a number of local groups, no football bookings are allowed during weekends in summer which essentially frees up the pitches for the thirty or so kids from Waterloo who come over every Sunday. Plus this also prevents us as a group from applying for funding (and there is lots of it out there, young people are supposed to be a priority) to do something really interesting like setting up coaching sessions or running junior tournaments to get kids off the estates. Plus in winter there is no chance as it is likely that the pitches will be booked all Sunday, every Sunday, by an organised league.
The policy is the same in Kennington Park and provokes similar problems. So don't complain about kids congregating in Nelson Sq. Push for them to have some alternate and affordable facilities. And if anyone is interested in helping promote use of Archbishops for youth sport and activity, do get in touch. We really could do with some help.
Thursday 5 July 2001 10.00pm
williams I cannot believe you did not react to this. It is easy to be magnanimous about anti social behaviour when you can liquidize your assets and move on in a few years. Living in SE1 is not a hobby for most of us, but an extremely mixed experience.
Thursday 16 August 2001 4.18pm
Since I wrote my first note I have learned that the redevelopment was not funded by the council so pooh to them still.

but williams if we wanted to return the square to its former glory then we would have to knock down the council flats and clear out the current lower class tenants and rebuild it as a georgian (not victorian) square.

so give me a shout when you are packed and ready to leave and then i will call the council and forward your suggestion.

Personally I think the noise from MBIBE, which doesn\'t welcome local residents is a far greater problem than the noise made by local residents. If the kids are annoying you tell them to get lost and tell their parents too.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: