Nominations, please

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
MM
Sunday 16 June 2002 10.09am
So, English Heritage have once again made complete spanners of themselves, this time by listing an NCP Carpark in Soho as a Grade 2 Listed building. The result being that now it can't be torn down and redeveloped. How about a few nominations for SE1 Grade 2 listings? To get the ball rolling, here are my starters for ten:

(1) The Butts Pub, Elephant and Castle. Truly a more marvellous spectacle than even the trainspotting toilet.

(2) Ashenden Tower Block, New Kent Road. I know everyone was stoned in the 60s, but that is one bad trip.

(3) Norman Foster's 60s throw-back Egg. The first truly hideous building of the new millennium, and in such a prime location. Well done, Norm, for ruining the view of Tower Bridge.

Any other suggestions?
Tuesday 18 June 2002 2.28pm
Oh God - Guy's Hospital. If it isn't listed already, that is.
Tuesday 18 June 2002 2.52pm
I like the design of Ena Sharples Hairnet...a.k.a as new GLA building.

The Wendover block on the Aylesbury Estate, Thurlow Street.

The Butts is definitely the way to describe it...
Friday 5 July 2002 5.58pm
Anything built in the last 20 years that pretends to be Victorian/ Georgian/ Medieval. Lets hope the owners don't have cars, TV's, and central heating, and do have outside loos and candle light. I won't even begin to list the hunderds of nasty pastiche buildings that litter SE1 and the rest of London.

Lets have well designed, modern buildings in SE1!

If you want to list bad buildings start with ones that wished they had been designed 200 years ago.
Tuesday 9 July 2002 10.33am
I agree with Modern Man. Some shocking recent examples include the new end building on Tyers Gate, the building occupied by Kurt Geiger and Daniel Cobb both on Bermondsey Street.

Why do we want to pretend that buildings are old; as if we would drive around in a car with a fake horse and cart chassis.

Modern buildings are such an easy target. Can we please move on from this lazy assumption that contemporary design is bad and buildings that look old are good

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: