Discounts Outside Congestion Zone proposed for Western Extension

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 11 August 2004 1.25pm
The Mayor is apparently considering giving some residents just OUTSIDE the proposed western zone a discount. Many of us live on the border of the zone here in SE1, I live off Tower Bridge Road, and although we did protest at the time receive no such discount, how do you all feel about these double standards? I believe the wealthier and better connected residents may succeed where we failed.

The Tfl site states:

"The possible extension of the residents' discount to certain areas outside the congestion charging zone where the particular circumstances justify it"

They are NOT referring to the old central zone.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 11 August 2004 2.18pm
I'm shocked but not surprised!

Like you I live off TBR, it's a disgrace that those in West London should get such a benefit whilst don't. I can't find fault with your argument that the wealthier and better connected nature of the residents would have swayed this decision.

Wednesday 11 August 2004 11.20pm
so..........you live ouside the zone but want to pay 130 as if you lived in the zone? I don't follow the arguement.
Thursday 12 August 2004 2.27am
..the simple answer appears to be that anyone on the cusp would willingly pay a discounted rate..whether on the Old Kent Rd ( or tbr)or in Kensington. Surely there is an argument to ride on the back of, if the area increases....

....my fury still rests with the basic management inadequacies of the Parking Shop and Southwark council who fail to run a service with staff that can show initiative and actually respond to residents' needs .....if anyone has a named contact who has any responsibiltiy in this 'shop' (?) I would greatly appreciate it..... I would also love to know the content of their proclaimed training in dealing with mildly annoyed customers....I feel thay may benefit from a more rigorous approach in how to manage conflict , rather than exacerbating it.......or in fact maybe a councillor that can be wined and dined ...that appears to be the way local politics is conducted these days.
Jerry....maybe you could convene a social with some of the afore mentioned councillors as a starting point to discuss the details of the proposed congestion charge extension ....

...my apologies to those that are diligent and hardworking ambassadors of the council.
Thursday 12 August 2004 9.26am
The 90% discount is not a lot of good. I don't suppose I take my car into the congestion zone once a fortnight.

But I agree; this is the worst sort of discrimination; against poor people like us who live in the grottier parts of town.
Thursday 12 August 2004 9.36am
You think SE1 is grottier than Shepherds Bush?
Thursday 12 August 2004 9.39am
Sorry. TFIC. Should have said - but I thought it would be obvious - as it was! - that I didn't mean it.
Thursday 12 August 2004 9.46am
It was a fair question....................no?
Thursday 12 August 2004 5.59pm
Not all of us are fortunate enough not to have to drive into the zone at least once a week, before you ask, I'm self employed and carry vast amount of work stuff in estate car. Therefore living 100 yards outside zone is financially annoying as without discount I spent around 550 last year. I'm fortunate in that I can afford that though many others I know of in this area will find it difficult.
The reason for the post was more to do with the possible morality involved in designating the Western zone residents just outside the area more suitable for a discount. The noises coming from the officials so far are that they are a different case as they live in a residential area. They obviously haven't seen the number of flats and houses bordering the zone in SE1.
Thursday 12 August 2004 11.12pm
If you read the documents, I think you'll find that what tfl say is that they'd consider it. Which is exactly what they said for others when the original CCZ was implemented. I don't think the western residents will get anything that we haven't had.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: