Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 17 June 2002 2.33pm
Dear all,

My girlfriend and I are about to move to a place close to Bermondsey tube station. We are a bit concerned about the recent news on crime soaring in London.
Could you please post some of your views on the subject?

Monday 17 June 2002 3.08pm

I've lived in Bermondsey for approx 5 years now and only once felt threatened!

"Moving in party" - a friend let in 5 guy's who then didn't want to leave...bit of a problem but could have happened anywhere.

Car crime/vandalism comes and goes and not too aware of street robberies. Some pubs are worth avoiding, a fight would not be too hard to find.

Just gotta be sensible I guess, act like an idot and you'll become a target...

Tuesday 18 June 2002 11.48am
Thanks for your comments S.
Tuesday 18 June 2002 2.03pm
John, I have lived in this area for decades, and have never been mugged / burgled .
As Squit said just use a bit of commonsense and awareness....
I have seen more aggro in city pubs than the Old Kent Road, and more dealing as well!
Wednesday 19 June 2002 11.26am
Thanks Jan.
Wednesday 19 June 2002 4.43pm
A good (but not at all scientific) way of getting some idea about the area is reading the South London Press (Tuesdays and Fridays). Excluding things Millwall hooligans get up to (as opposed to Millwall fans), my impression form this is that the main thing that happens in Bermondsey is that Simon Hughes opens something. Meanwhile in Streatham, Brixton, Stockwell, Camberwell, Peckham and Walworth it seems like someone stabs someone else every week. In Dulwich of course, there's probbaly a dispute over a garden plant which has encroached on a neighbour's space ...

I find it re-assuring that generally everyone rubs along fine, without things getting boring. My main advice is to watch out for minor thefts - chain/lock things up - otherwise they'll end up in a street market.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: