Good pubs?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
HF
Monday 16 August 2004 10.05am
This is probably a very tired question, but can anyone recommend a good pub that can handle a fair few people for a moderately special occasion - ideally, but not essentially, with an outside space? I was thinking of the London Scotia which is great if the sun is out but a bit of a shell inside ...
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Monday 16 August 2004 10.24am
Mansion House on Kennington Park Road near the Elephant?

http://www.shepherd-neame.co.uk/pubs/pubs.php/mansion_london

Large, good food and an outside area...
Monday 16 August 2004 10.30am

The Ship on Borough High Street (#68 i think)

nice beer garden and not bad inside (do have a big screen so worth asking them to turn it off for your event).
Sal
Monday 16 August 2004 11.44am
The Prince of Wales on St Georges Road has recently been done up. Looks really nice, staff are friendly and they also have a beer garden. Highly recommended.
Monday 16 August 2004 11.50am
The Doggett, first building on the right as you come over Blackfriars Bridge - not the loveliest of structures, but the upper bar has a great terrace overlooking river. Not sure how much, but about five years ago a sister's birthday party involved a hefty deposit, which was refunded as long as that much was spent over the bar during the evening (I presume reduced as spending increased through the evening, I don't think they keep the lot if you only manage 95% of the amount) - slightly scary but quite achieveable with enough serious party-goers - 100 people, 4 drinks each - you could see it as a challenge event! Nice for a Summer evening . . .

The Stamford Arms on Stamford Street has a nice upstairs bar which comfortably dealt with about 70 or so of us at a work's quiz night recently. I believe the fee depends on whether you use their catering (pretty standard for most places). No outside space though I don't think...

As above, the back garden of the Ship was always a nice spot for an evening session...

The Crown on Blackfriars Road also has a good outside back garden, barbecue built in, enough space for a good number. Upstairs function room too.

I must have been out having fun round here more than I realised...too many Xmas and leaving do's

Cheers
Mark.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16 August 2004 11.52am by markandjoan.
Monday 16 August 2004 12.46pm
I have hired the upstairs of the Stamford Arms and it was free even though we didn't use their catering. They seemed happy enough that we were going to have a crowd along to the event. I presume it may not be possible to hire for free at busier times (Friday evening say). It is nice there but no outside (upstairs) as Mark says.

I agree with a lot of the other suggestions and comments.

One to add to the mix might be Imbibe also on Blackfriars Road, more or less opposite The Crown. It seems to be a fairly awful pub generally, I don't know why but the atmosphere is lifeless so I have gone there only a couple of times. But if you are looking to hire a place then you create your own atmosphere and in those circumstances the interior is quite comfortable, modern and there is a beer garden too. I have hired Imbibe for a work XMas do and it wasn't very expensive and we were very happy with it. Outside of Xmas party season it should be cheaper or maybe even free if memory serves.
Monday 16 August 2004 2.43pm

The Rose and Crown on Colombo St has an upstairs room (which they may or may not hire out) and a beer garden and some very nice staff and they do decent food.
Monday 16 August 2004 3.22pm
The George?
HF
Monday 16 August 2004 3.50pm
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm relatively new to the area and although I can sense that its a great place to be with lots going on, because there's no main 'strip' of bars etc, its sometimes hard to find it!
That's probably what makes it so cool though...
Monday 16 August 2004 4.25pm
The Horseshoe has a nice garden, and is a deceptively big pub so they might hire you the back room and garden.

Also, what about the sort of pubs that only normally open Mon to Fri (like the one by the Fire Station - the real one, not the other bar - on Sthk Bridge Rd. Or the nice looking one just round the corner from the Ship (road that goes from St George's Circus to Borough High St). Presumably they'd open for a decent sized crowd, and you could have the place to yourselves.

{welcome to SE1. You're right, there is no strip - apart from Bermondsey St, if you read the Standard and some people's postings on here - but you won't be here long before you realise that there's no shortage of pubs, and that at least half of them are pretty good}

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: