Builder - there must be one here somewhere!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 17 August 2004 12.28pm
I continue my quest for a builder. Downstairs bathroom conversion & rebuilding of an outside wall.

I spoke to Jonathan Vogado of Drum who came to look at a room that needed plastering & gave me a quotation that was sky high - he obviously didn't want to do that job. I asked him to come back on the above work, and have heard nothing since.

I spoke to Michael Rann, as recommended by Harriet/Sophie McCadam, but he describes himself as a handyman, rather than a builder & wouldn't be up to it.

Has NOBODY used a builder round here?

Tuesday 17 August 2004 2.07pm
Mapmaker - sounds to me like you will need a brickie, plasterer, plumber and painter, so unless you are going to site manage youself and coordinate the workforce (bloody stressful) a contractor may be a better bet (altough more expensive as he will earn out of his subbies). I have used, on a number of occasions, Thomas Lawrence Builders (MD's name is Theo who is great). Tel 020 7720 3824

bmovie is in no way related to, or in the empoy of, the afore mentioned contractors and cannot and will not accept any responsiblity for any time.
Tuesday 17 August 2004 7.31pm
Dear James,
Sorry to hear that you felt that our quote to re-plaster part of your room was 'sky high'. I hope that you have been able to get the work carried out, and that you are pleased with the results. I can assure you that I was willing and very able to carry out the work to a high standard. I'm also appreciative of the fact that you do have a choice in these matters, and that you exercised yours. When estimating for any job, I have to take into account a number of different factors, these include: location, accessibility, the size of job and increasingly, the availability of parking - all of which (in this case) were tricky, tight, small or nonexistent!

Following your notice that I had been unsuccessful in getting this job, I had left two messages for you to call me. Having gained no response I assumed (wrongly) that you no longer wanted my involvement in your future plans.

Do contact me if you'd like to arrange another appointment, I'll be pleased to meet up again.

Kind regards

Jonathan Vogado
Drum Property Refurbishment
07767 686 906
Tuesday 17 August 2004 8.02pm
Mapmaker --: "If you can't do plumbing, brick laying or plastering, how can you describe yourself as a 'handyman'?

Michael Rann--: "I only live round the corner" !!!!!!!
Wednesday 18 August 2004 11.12am
Wednesday 18 August 2004 6.54pm
Mapmaker - try this site:

Sorry don't know how to do the direct link thingy...
Wednesday 18 August 2004 6.57pm
Just put http:// in front of the address:

and it will automatically be clickable

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 18 August 2004 7.02pm
Thank you James .
Thursday 19 August 2004 10.02pm
A general query, related to handymen, builders, decorators or whatever job description they give themselves....why , when promoting themselves as available for work and providing a mobile phone number as the prime means of contact, do they rarely respond to a message / request for a quote - if only out of courtesy [remember that?] even though they are currently busy. Chaps, the punters call you because they need a job doing - it may not always sound like they best job in the world, but remember, if you call back and at least acknowledge their existance and even if you decline the job, it is just possible that the potential customer will come back to you with something more substantial [and profitable] in the future because they will remember that you once showed a gram of customer know who you are.

Jonathan, perhaps you can enlighten me on the thinking of 'homo decoratus' ?

Yup - I know, I'm feeling a bit over-emulsional............

p.s - Drum excluded from above rant targets.
Monday 23 August 2004 12.13pm
I am looking for someone also. Something between a handyman and a contractor. I would like to knock a hole in a wall and add a door. It is in a structural wall so is beyond my capabilities (I am very handy) but isn't big enought to get a contractor in for such a small project. Any suggestions? Also still trying to find a local landscape contractor but with little to no luck.... I can't be the only person in SE1 who as a garden!!!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: