Development at 44 Hopton Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 12 June 2001 7.25pm
Last Thursday the developers, London Town, laid on an event to introduce to local residents their proposed 26 storey flat development at 44 Hopton Street. As reported in SE1 this is the site acquired from the Paper Factory and fronting onto Hopton Square.

Some residents at Bankside Lofts explored whether the factory could be listed but, on investigation, I undertsand thatEnglish Heritage said no, the reason being that the building had been too much altered.

We were told by London Town that the GLA, apparently supported by CABE (although I should like to hear this direct), support a building of this height which is similar to the Tate Modern stack and the IPC building. Indeed the GLA apparently would like it to go higher.

The principal argument for height is to reduce the area to ca. 50% of the total site. Incidentally 35% affordable housing is planned.

Residents of Bankside Lofts and Falcon Point are unlikely to be very keen on the present plans.

My interest: garden level in the Bankside Lofts development.

My view: if there must be a new block then a tall, thin, quality building is a reasonable idea. But the present proposal is too bulky and could go even higher but at the same time reducing the area further to say 35% of the site.

Anyone else got a view?
Wednesday 13 June 2001 10.26am
This <a href="http://argument.independent.co.uk/regular_columnists/ken_livingstone/story.jsp?story=77720">article by Ken Livingstone</a> in today's <i>Independent</i> may be of interest.

James

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: